Why after using the MonaLisa laser do I still have extreme dryness, pain and bleeding with intercourse?

Not same response for all

I'm sorry to hear that you have not had any relief after your MonaLisa Touch laser treatments. I am assuming that you did complete all three laser treatments, and do not have an active vaginal infection?

Roughly 10-15% plus will not have an adequate response, unfortunately. The laser at the energy levels we use (the settings and treatment plans were set originally by the Italian group who first started using the MonaLisa Touch) stimulate what is called "heat shock protein"  which starts the restorative process by stimulating growth factor and fibroblast activity. Those cells are dormant in a majority of women with vaginal atrophy. It is quite possible that in some patients (and this could be your case)  those non responsive cells are actually dead and not dormant and therefore would not respond to any energy level. In this situation, there would probably be no benefit from any additional or different treatment plans with laser. You should discuss further with the doctor that treated you. 

Lake Forest OB/GYN

Symptoms not improved?

I suggest you discuss these issues with the physician who treated you. It is critically important to discuss the problems with an expert who has Female Pelvic Medicine Reconstructive surgery certification. We are the experts who tailor the most effective treatments. There may be other remedies required to help promote the healing power of the MonaLisa laser. 

I hope that you start feeling better. We offer physical therapy, MonaLisa, ThermiVa, medications and surgical options.

Not all vaginal dryness and pain is caused by menopausal vaginal atrophy

Get checked for infections. These will cause dryness and pain at any age. If your atrophy was severe, you may need additional sessions.

Laser based therapies for vaginal dryness

Laser based therapies for vaginal resurfacing and rejuvenation have been incredibly effective in restoring women's sex lives. That said, not all lasers are the same and not all patients will responde the same. Patient selection and choice of therapy is best determined by an experienced physician dedicated to women's pelvic health. Without knowing your specific symptom severity, physical exam, or history, it is difficult to say why you have not had optimal results. If your doctor is unable to offer explanations then you may benefit from a second opinion by a specialist knowledgable in these conditions and therapies.

Peter Castillo, MD, FACOG
Bay Area Urogynecologist