Am I a Able to Get Tumescent Lipo and Bbl Under Local Anesthesia? (photo)

I'm 5'8,212 lbs.

Am I Able to Get Tumescent Lipo and Bbl Under Local Anesthesia?

A 5 liter liposuction and a large volume fat transfer to the buttocks is not something I would recommend to a patient with just local anesthesia.  You want the most dramatic transformation possible, and you do not want to be in pain.  I perform about 500 Brazilian buttlifts each year, and this procedure is the most surgeon dependent plastic surgery procedure.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of Brazilian buttlifts each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Brazilian Butt Lift under Local Anesthesia

That is crazy!  Almost anything is possible, and I am pretty darn agressive with local, but I would not even consider it in you.  You would need a lot of local and that can get dangerous.  Also, you need to be able to stay still enough that I could do a good job.  Don't let the anesthesia choice limit your result- it's not worth it in the long run.  Also, there is no way you could be comfortable during that procedure, without at least IV anesthesia.

Don't forget- if it seems too good to be true, that's because it is.

Frederick G. Weniger, MD, FACS, MBA
Hilton Head Island Plastic Surgeon

Brazilian Butt Lift under local anesthesia

The simple answer is yes, you are able to have tumescent liposuction and a Brazilian Butt lift under local anesthesia.  My concern is that the liposuction portion of the BBL is EXTREMELY important for creating the curves you are seeking.  I find that when I have tried to perform liposuction under local anesthesia I am unable to keep patients comfortable enough to be as aggressive as I would like.  If you are only willing to have the procedure done with local anesthesia, make sure you see before and after photos from your surgeon of patients whose procedure was done under local.

Andrew Jimerson, MD

Type of Anesthesia for BBL

I have performed BBL's under local anesthesia, IV sedation and general anesthesia.  The best anesthesia in my opinion is either local with IV sedation or general anesthesia.  Good luck and take care.

Melinda Lirag Lacerna-Kimbrell, MD, FACS
Sarasota Plastic Surgeon

Local Anesthesia is Not Adequate

Thank you for your photo.  Having liposuction and gluteal sculpting is a significant procedure that requires general anesthetic for patient comfort.   General is safe with the appropriately trained anesthesiologist or nurse anesthetist.  

Best Wishes

Dr. ES

Local anesthesia is not ideal for liposuction in combination with buttock fat injection (BBL)

Of course, it is possible to perform this surgery under local anesthesia, but the question is not whether it is possible but whether it is ideal.  Patients are more comfortable and the surgeon is typically able to be more aggressive and harvest more fat under IV sedation.  Accordingly, I perform this surgery under total IV anesthesia, the ideal combination of adequate anesthesia and safety.  This way you don't have unpleasant memories of your surgery and you are likely to require less pain medication.  The additional cost is well worth it.  Some operators may not be surgeons with this capability so they may not offer it.

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon