Full Tummy Tuck vs. Mini: What is the average recovery time? (Photo)

What is the average recovery time for a mini tummy tuck? I was considering a full tummy tuck but with the recovery time so long I am now going to do a mini tummy tuck or no tummy tuck at all. I have saggy skin due to pregnancy and weight loss on my tummy and would like it to be a little tighter. This is a picture of my tummy. I will be doing consultations early next year.

Mini Tummy Tuck vs a Full Tummy Tuck or Abdominoplasty

From your photo, it appears that you would be a candidate for either a mini tummy tuck or a full tummy tuck (abdominoplasty). It really depends upon your goals. If you want a super flat stomach and to get rid of most of your stretch marks, than a full would be the best choice for you.

Many patients think that the recovery from a mini tummy tuck will be a prolonged, painful and arduous, but if a rapid recovery, NO Drain protocol is used, the recovery from a mini tummy tuck or a full tummy tuck is usually about the same, 24 to 36 hours.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Recovery time is similar

the difference between a full TT and a miniTT is the amount of skin to be removed and also is the belly button will be repositioned. The physiological healing of the wound will be exactly the same (aprox. 3 weeks for the immediate healing, if somebody tells you something differently, they already forgot the classes from medical school).
Mini TT is a good surgery in the proper candidate ( which are rare) the excess skin has to be only in the lower abdomen (below the belly button) and the muscles  in the supraumbilical area (above the BB) need to be normal. Because the procedure is less extensive, patients will have less discomfort (usually) but the time to recover will be the same.
The only way i can determine what surgery is best for you is with a consultation, however looking at the picture you submitted, it appears that a full tummy tuck is the best procedure for you.
Choose a surgeon member of the American Society for Aesthetic plastic surgery, this will assure you that your plastic surgeon is Board Cerified and his practice is committed to aesthetic plastic surgery.
Good Luck

Victor M. Perez, MD, FACS
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after tummy tuck

You should not chose to have a surgery based on recovery time. You should choose the surgery that will achieve the results that you want and then plan for the recovery accordingly. Based on your photo, I think that you would be terribly disappointed with the results of a mini-tummy tuck. It would be better to do nothing and save your money and time. 

Wm. Todd Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

No faster recovery with mini tummy tuck vs full

The most important aspect of recovery after a tummy tuck is the muscle repair, which should be done with a mini or full if necessary. The mini removes less skin but that doesn't mean a lot faster recovery. If you don't have a muscle separation then do the full tummy tuck. You do not appear to be a good candidate for the mini based on the photos.

Richard Baxter, MD

A full tummy tuck without muscle repair may be a good compromise for you

Based on your photo it seems that you do not have a tremendous amount of stretching out of the rectus muscle (diastasis).  If you do not not need a muscle tightening then a tummy tuck recovery would be much easier.  You should however get a full tummy tuck skin removal because without this the drooping of your belly button skin will not be corrected without it.  A mini tuck is only good for people with droopy skin lower in the belly.  Below is a link to a photo of someone who had a tummy tuck with similar issues to yours.  The photo is the 3rd photo set in the 8th row.

Dev Wali, MD
Claremont Plastic Surgeon

Full Tummy Tuck vs. Mini: What is the average recovery time?

Given the extent of skin laxity to the level of the belly button, a tummy tuck would produce a far better result.

Full tummy tuck

I think you would benefit from a full tummy tuck. The recovery is worth it as a mini would not be worth it from your picture. Good Luck!

Gregory T. Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

A full TT obviously takes longer to recover, but from your photo you will need that surgery. A mini TT will leave you undercorrected and at some point you will have to pay full price for a full TT anyway to get a complete result.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Tummy tuck recovery based on muscle repair

We do not have a side photo to look at. Examination would determine which would give you the better result and the recovery time.

If your muscle layer needs tightening, that is the cause for more of the pain, most of the restrictions and the recovery can be longer.
On the other hand if the muscle layer is tight and plication (tightening) is not needed then recovery could be quick as little as 1-2 weeks.

Either way most of my patients with a desk job return in one week after a mini tummy tuck and 1-2 weeks with a full tummy tuck. Manual labor type jobs need 4 or more weeks. It is 6 weeks before resuming all activity if the muscle layer is tightened.
The mini does not do much to the upper abdomen. There is one variation for people with a high belly button , good skin, but need some tightening of the upper abdomen called a free floating umbilicus where we do between a mini and full tummy tuck, but dont have to cut around the belly button.
Your front picture seems to indicate a mini tummy tuck would be fine, but exam and side views could change that recommendation.

Very few benefit from mini tummy tuck. You need full tummy tuck

You certainly need full tummy tuck.  Mini tuck will not benefit you and you will have wasted your money.  Get what is required or do nothing and accept the things as they are.              

Vasdev Rai, MD