Frown Line?

Hi I had my frown lines treated 3 weeks ago and I still have a little vertical line left in between my eyebrows, can I have some more botox to try and get rid of that line altogether? Or do I need to wait 3 months until my next tretment?

Frown line options

Thank you for your question. The frown lines between the brows can be address two different ways:
1) Botox or Dysport can be used to soften the deepening of the frown lines when making a frown expression. The treatment may even soften the lines that are present at rest. The effects typically last 3-4 months depending on the dose. I generally use between 15-40 units of Botox (30-120 units of Dysport) in the frown area depending on the strength of the muscle and the degree of frown reduction we are trying to achieve.
2) Restylane or Juvederm can be used to soften the frown lines that are present even when you don't make an expression. This can last for a year or more when used in conjuction with Botox.
For someone who has concerns with both the static lines (without expression) and the dynamic lines (with expression), then using both products would work well together.
I often find that patients who return after a Botox or Dysport treatment in the frown areas complaining it didn't work, is due to the confusion between the static and dynamic frown lines. They continue to see the static lines even though the dynamic lines have softened considerably.

Re: More Botox and Frown Line

If you are noticing the vertical line when your face is at rest, it is considered to be a static wrinkle.

This means that it is etched on the skin.

Botox will relax the frown line muscles so that they don’t continue to crease the skin. In other words, the treatment will only address the muscles. It will not take care of any permanent creases that have developed over time.

If this vertical line concerns you, I would suggest the use of a dermal filler. Based on your description, it sounds like the crease is shallow.  Belotero is a filler that is best for superficial wrinkles.

Here is a patient video where this was filler was used to fill static frown lines. She did not have Botox for the muscles. But she wanted to get rid of the vertical creases that were etched between her brows.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox touch up treatments can be done safely

You cold certainly have your Botox treatment 'touched up' to further weaken the glabellar muscle group. The other consideration for residual vertical lines is the use of a dermal filler such as Restylane or Juvederm to soften this line even further.

Botox and filler for frown lines

If you still have some frowning movement, you may need more Botox.  If there is still a depression, filler may help.  Please return to your doctor for assessment.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Botox doesnt always eliminate "lines"

If you still have some activity in your corrugator muscles, then more botox may help. However, its important to realize that botox will not necessarily completely eliminate a wrinkle. It will usually improve it, but it may not be completely gone. In some cases, adding some filler after the botox has taken full effect can be beneficial.

Paul Wigoda, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Botox + Filler

If you are able to actively make the wrinkles in this area deeper than you may benefit from some additional neurotoxin to the corrugator or procerous muscles.  If the frown lines in this area are deep from many years of creasing the skin I often add some hyaluronic acid filler as well to further improve the appearance.  

Jacque P. LeBeau, MD
Pensacola Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for frown lines may need fillers as well

If you have a very deep frown line you may either need a little more Botox in a related area such as the upper forehead or you may need a small amount of filler in that area.  Please return to your treating cosmetic dermatologist and make sure they are an experienced injector.

You may need a little more

Since you state that you have a "little" vertical line left, my guess is that you need just a bit more Botox, and I would advise seeing the physician that did the treatment. If the line still is deep, he or she may want to add a little filler. Regardless, make sure you are going to an experienced provider.

Daniel Townsend, MD
Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox and Frown Lines

Botox is effective for dynamic wrinkles and the stabilization of static wrinkles.  If there is no movement in the area but wrinkles remain, filler or fat may be injected, but this should be performed with a blunt cannula not a sharp needle.

Frown lines and Botox

Botox and Dysport typically take 7-10 days to have their full effect.  If after two weeks, there is still movement, more can be injected.  If the line is still present and is not due to movement, a hyaluronic filler can be injected to fill the line.  However, there are risks when injecting in this area, so it should be performed by a board-certified dermatologist with cosmetic experience.

Donna Bilu Martin, MD
Aventura Dermatologist