Why is It Necessary to Have a Front Zipper or Clasp Sports Bra After Breast Lift?

Front zipper bra

I call them "front loaders" because in general after surgery, they are easy to put on and take off.  For no other reason.

It is not necessary, but it is easier to manage after surgery.  In addition, the bra worn should not place any tension or pressure on the incisions.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast lifts each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Breast lift recovery bras

Hi Kmrehi

This is all about convenience and comfort for the patient - reaching around behind your back can be uncomfortable after breast surgery and can place some scars under unnecessary stretch. As soon as you feel comfortable using a normal bra, I'm sure your Plastic Surgeon will be happy to guide you as to which things to look for and what to avoid whilst you recover. By about 6-8 weeks, the internal scars in the breast will be ok to be in almost any bra.

Dr Gavin Sandercoe

We prefer them because they are easier to get on and off. Reaching around the back puts a fair amount of stress on a freshly sutured incision.

All the best. 

The easiest to use bra is best after breast lift.

There's nothing mandatory about a front fastening bra. It's just easier to put on it does not require exaggerated arm movement.

User friendly postop bras

All surgeons differ in their preferences. For the most part, front is easier that back. I don't use bras for all my breast suregry. Some of my patients go into crop-tops. Depends on the exact surgery and your body shape too.

Bra type after a breast lift

Most patients prefer a bra with a  clasp or hooks in the front for the first week after a breast lift since it is easier to get on and off.  Otherwise it is just personal preference. 

Sports bra with front clasps are great after breast surgery

I have all my patients wear a sports bra with no underwire which does up in the front from the end of their surgery - whether they are having a breast augmentation (breast implant surgery), breast reduction or breast lift (mastopexy). The patient wakes up with the bra covering their dressings and in all cases they can remove the bra to shower the following day. I ask my patients to wear these bras day and night for the first 2 weeks.

These bras work well as they are inexpensive and easy to buy. The bras apply some pressure to breasts (to aid with swelling) without the risk of damaging the suture line (as there is no underwire). These bras are easy for the patient to put on and take off as they do up in front - patients don't have to extend their shoulders reaching around the middle of their back (which could cause some discomfort after breast surgery).