Significant weight gain post op, trying to understand it. How much would it be estimated that my 400cc implants weigh?

My breast augmentation was Friday morning. Today I am 48 hours post op. I had semi solid shaped 400 cc implants on each side. The day before my surgery I weighed 137 pounds. This morning I stepped on the scale and weighed 150! OMG!!! As I have not eaten much food post op I am in a mental spiral as I have always struggled with my weight. I am trying to understand this significant weight gain. How much would it be estimated that my implants themselves weigh?

Breast augmentation healing

Early post op patients always seem to gain weight due to fluid retention, and has nothing to do with excessive food intake. I have had a few patients binge on salty food [potato chips] post op and retain more fluid longer. If you only had a breast aug, this is a bit much weight gain and you should see your surgeon. Breast implants your size are only about 1 pound each.

It is not unusual to have water retention following any surgery

It is not unusual to have water retention following any surgery.  This will decrease over the next week.  A 450 cc implant weighs one pound.  

Weight Gain After BreastAugmentation

With breast augmentation surgery, IV fluid is adminstered and this is likely what acoounts for most of the immediate weight gain. Implants usually weigh about 1.5 pounds and should not be an issue in the long term. Be patient as most of this will resolve with time. 

Continue to follow up with your surgeon to ensure that you progress as planned. Best of luck, Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Weight gain after breast implant surgery

If you assume 453 grams equals one pound, then your implants added less than two pounds to your overall weight.  It is not unusual for fluid retention to happen after surgery and we usually tell patients there is not a lot of gain from weighing oneself.  However, meet with your surgeon soon to make sure there is nothing else going on.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Weight gain after surgery

The scales measure fluid retention, not just fat.
You retain water after surgery.
A 13 pound gain is unusual - but home scales have a wide margin of error.

Report the weight gain to your plastic surgeon's office.
Go in and be weighed and return to be weighed again in a week.
If you have any health conditions, you need to also report this to your regular doctor. Best wishes.

Generally speaking, breast implants should not contribute to a significant weight gain. A set of 400cc silicone implants weigh approximately 1 pound each. You could have post-surgery water retention. I would advise that you speak with your plastic surgeon and share with him your concerns

Bruce Landon, MD

Concerned about weight gain after breast implant

Your weight gain is due to water retention after surgery.  It is not unusual for patients to gain 10-20 lbs peri-operatively.  During the surgery, you received saline solution (salt water); you may have had salty food after the surgery…  The excess water weight will decrease for the next 1-2 weeks.  You probably would gain 2 lbs from your implants. 

Implant weight

thank you for your question. I think an increase of 13 pounds is certainly out of the ordinary, and would advise you to bring that to the attention of your PS and perhaps, your primary MD as well. As to the weight of the implants, 2 400cc implants combined are less than 2 lbs. total.( A 450cc implant weighs approx. 1 lb.)

Richard Wilson, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

It's water weight.

I'll weigh the implants when I get a break today and update my reply.  In the meantime, I can assure you that the implants do not weigh a combined 13 pounds.  That is almost certainly from fluid retention.

However, that amount of water weight is a bit out the ordinary, so I suggest you mention that to you plastic surgeon.  That is especially important if you have any underlying disorders such as kidney or heart issues.  They may decide to prescribe a diuretic to help mobilize the excess water.

Best of luck.