How severe is my Gynecomastia? What is the average price for a similar case and recovery? (Photo)

About Gynecomastia and Surgery Costs

There are different types of #gynecomastia. Normal Gynecomastia is usually apparent in boys between the ages of 12 to 15 years old and older men 65 years old or more who experience a drop in their testosterone levels. This type of Gynecomastia takes about one to two years to regress on its own.
Pure Glandular Gynecomastia is seen more commonly in body builders and is caused by steroid use. Surgical removal of the gland is required for treatment.
Adult Gynecomastia – Fat deposits are apparent in the glandular tissue. This type of gynecomastia is the most common. Doctors may recommend surgery for treatment of the condition.
Adolescent Gynecomastia is hereditary and usually appears in 30% to 60% of boys between the ages of nine to fourteen. Many cases of adolescent gynecomastia resolve on its own as the boy grows into adulthood. Some may choose to undergo surgery to correct the situation, this usually happens at the age of 18 or above. In severe cases in young boys, the physician and child development specialists will need to speak to the parents regarding the severity of the gynecomastia and if surgery is an option before the age of 18.
Pseudo-Gynecomastia is composed of adipose tissue instead of glandular tissue. This type of gynecomastia can be treated with diet, liposuction or surgery
Severe Gynecomastia commonly affects those who have lost skin elasticity at an older age and those who have been obese or overweight at one point in their life and lost weight may have saggy skin and breasts that are severely enlarged. Surgery is the recommended treatment for severe gynecomastia.

There are three types of surgical treatment #options available that treat gynecomastia. A board certified Plastic Surgeon will recommend the best one suited for you during a one-on-one, in-person consultation.
According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons the average #cost of #gynecomastia surgery can vary widely. #Surgery quotes should include the procedure itself, operating room facilities, anesthesia fees, surgeon’s fees, medical tests, post-surgery garments, prescription medication and other related costs. Most plastic surgery offices offer convenient finance plans that allow patients to pay a low monthly payment.
Costs will also vary with geographic location. Estimated costs can be found here on RealSelf.com, PlasticSurgery.org or Surgery.org.

What is gynecomastia?

GYNECOMASTIA = Breast Enlargement in Men, below are some basic information to know about the procedure and if it is for you:
Gynecomastia or breast enlargement in men can be corrected by a variety of plastic surgical techniques. This condition often creates a psychological poor self perception and many males of all ages do not take their shirts off because of this stigma. Candidates are men who have over-developed or enlarged breasts which may occur as the result of hormonal changes or hereditary conditions.
Candidates are healthy men, whose condition cannot be corrected through exercise, weight reduction or other non-surgical treatments. Appropriate preconditions for surgery are the stabilization of breast development (no further breast enlargement) and localized areas of excess breast tissue and fat.
Intended Result
The procedure intends to reduce the breast size and redundant breast tissue to enhance the contours of the chest. The surgery often reduces physical discomfort associated with the area, as well as physiological and emotional dissatisfaction with the area.
Procedure Description
General, Intravenous or local anesthesia are used for this procedure depending on the severity and type of procedure(s) selected by your plastic surgeon. It is performed on an outpatient basis. For males with very large breasts staged procedures (more than one procedure) may be required. For example, the first procedure may be liposuction, then several weeks to months later after skin contraction has occurred, a separate procedure is done to remove excess skin. By doing a staged procedure, often the final scars are less.
Oftentimes, specific types of liposuction cannulas are used and often in conjunction with direct removal of excess breast glandular tissue through small incisions for mild to moderate gynecomastia. Other specific techniques can reduce the areola when needed or reposition the nipple to create the appearance of a more natural contour.

Gynecomastia

Thanks for the photo.  I would describe your case of gynecomastia as average.  There is probably both fat and glandular components which would require liposuction and surgical excision of the gland.

Tim Neavin, MD

More Severe Than Average

Dear Woodtr2,

Your gynecomastia is more severe than the average patient we take to surgery. Nevertheless, you would be a candidate for our preferred procedure which would mean no scar on the chest, no drainage tubes and all of it done through as small incision under the arm. With any operation, you should refrain from heavy lifting or exercising for two weeks after surgery to prevent a postoperative bleeding episode. With our technique, it is presumed that you would be back at work at a desk job in three days including driving yourself and taking no prescription pain medicines. Gynecomastia surgery is the most common procedure I perform in my practice, and we have performed 100s per year.

I hope this has been helpful to you.

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Gynecomastia texas (TX)

You do have gynecomastia.To me it looks severe enough.

How should I choose a surgeon?
Selecting a surgeon is as important a choice as the decision to undergo surgery. Choose carefully. The decision is yours. What follows is some advice to assist in making your selection.
1. Experience matters. Choosing a surgeon who has performed over one thousand gynecomastia cases increases the likelihood that they have seen a case similar to yours in the past. Selecting a surgeon whose practice is focused on gynecomastia exclusively is also an indicator of experience.
2. Results matter. The more before-and-after pictures a surgeon displays, the better. Pay attention not just to the number of pictures, but whether the surgeon is confident enough to show multiple angles of the same patient.
3. Reviews matter. Have patients reviewed your surgeon? Did those patients undergo the surgery you are considering?
4. Expertise matters. Is your surgeon recognized by the profession as an authority in the field? Are they certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery? Have they authored books or medical journal articles regarding your surgery?
We hope these guidelines are of assistance when you are selecting your surgeon. When undergoing surgery, it is very important to be realistic about your expectations. Past results are not a guarantee of future results. Also, revision surgery tends to be significantly more difficult than initial surgery.

Mordcai Blau, MD

How severe is my Gynecomastia

clinical grading of your gynaecomastia is moderate
what is more important is how worried your are about the abnormal shape of your chest
if you are worried then the severity is irrelevant
treatment of course is surgery
cost would be around USD 2500 in india
best of luck

Gynecomastia

Thanks for your post. I would agree that you would likely benefit from a surgical procedure to improve your chest contour. I would start w/ laser-assisted liposuction. It can be done in the office in most situations. If you have enlargement of the breast gland itself (true gynecomastia), then I find that most times you need to have that directly removed. Otherwise, you will still have that small mound under the nipple. In the KC area, you are probably looking in the $5,000 range for that treatment.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia

You have gynecomastia.  It is severe enough to have surgery.  Prices vary from region to region, and experience of the surgeon.  Contact a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who is highly experienced to discuss your options.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

You have moderately severe gynecomastia

You have gynecomastia.  It is about 5 on scale of 1-10.  Total cost of such treatment when done by a experienced plastic surgeon in an accredited facility with anesthesia by an anesthesiologist is $5500-$6000.    That will not include prescription medications.

Vasdev Rai, MD