I have severe diastasis recti. How do I find a doctor who specializes in muscle repair and tummy tucks in North Dallas area?

I have worked very hard to lose 80 lbs to achieve a healthy weight. I have extra skin, but it's the ab separation that leaves me feeling so insecure. I went to a free consultation with a CS where I was told I needed to find someone who specialized in muscle repair/TT to be sure I get my desired outcome. When I search the web, I don't see anyone saying anything about specializing in anything. I am really scared to do this but being called pregnant all the time really does effect my self confidence!

Doctor Answers 4

Diastasis recti - how to find a surgeon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question about your tummy tuck.
  • You need to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
  • To find one, go to the website of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.
  • All of us are Board Certified.
  • Look for those near you and arrange a consultation.
  • You may need a tummy tuck, extended tummy tuck or even a lower body lift -
  • What you have depends on what bothers you most - so definitely the tummy tuck portion is needed.
  • FYI - self-styled "cosmetic surgeons" may have no surgical training and the information you were given was misleading. You do not need a diastasis expert. You need a Board Certified plastic surgeon specializing in cosmetic surgery. 
  • Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

I have severe diastasis recti. How do I find a doctor?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for the question; ultimately, careful selection of your plastic surgeon will be the most important decision you make.

I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.
Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery.

***Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.

Be very careful with your decision-making. You will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you; again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Best wishes.

Tummy Tuck - Finding A Surgeon?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question. Finding the proper surgeon is critical to the success of your mommy makeover. You need to find a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who specializes in body contouring procedures. The ASPS website will provide a list of properly trained surgeons in your area. You should go on several consultations and see who you like best.  Ask to see a lot of before and after pictures of their work.Hope this helps.

Tummy tuck and diastasis recti

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question.  Repair of the diastasis recti is frequently done in conjunction with a tummy tuck and is easily and typically done by a surgeon trained in plastic surgery.  Anyone trained in plastic surgery should be able to do this!  Be sure to consult with an experienced plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS
Dallas Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 23 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.