Caps on deep cavities months ago - now one of them really throbs and more sensitive.

I know I've been grinding my teeth cause this past week I woke up with terrible lock jaw pain and I'm wondering if my tooth with the cap will just be painfully sensitive for a little longer or if a root canal should be done?

Dental crowns and tooth repair

Teeth with deep cavities may not recover after placing restorations, including crowns. Throbbing pain is usually a sign of irreversible inflammation of the pulp of the tooth. Follow up with you dentist to determine the best treatment. 

Sensitive crown #DrSoftTouch

It's difficult to provide an accurate answer without seeing you for an evaluation. Grinding your teeth can cause sensitivity, so I would recommend wearing a nightguard each night to protect your teeth. It's also possible that you need a root canal because the tooth had deep decay. It's best to see your dentist as soon as possible to determine the cause of your sensitivity. I hope this helps.  Click "save" under my name in order to ask me additional questions in the future.

Crowns over deep cavities

This would be difficult to answer without having you in the office for evaluation, however, I would recommend the following action and questions:

1.  Return to your dentist quickly for evaluation

2.  Did you begin grinding or clenching your teeth after the crowns were cemented in place?  If so, this could be an issue with your occlusion (how your teeth line up and come together).  If a tooth is too high, this can give a pretty severe tooth ache.  If this is the cause, readjustment of the occlusion should help with the pain and hopefully the cause of grinding/clenching although a night guard may still be indicated.

3.  Because of the deep decay that was present there is a possibility that the tooth/teeth may need root canals.

Your dentist will be able to evaluate and determine the best coarse of treatment.

David M. Schertzer, DDS
Saint Louis Dentist

Pain due to grinding or need root canal

Hi:

Clenching and grinding sensitivity at times have very similar symptoms to nerve problems.  Its best to make sure you are wearing a night guard to protect your teeth against wear and pressure.  At the same time the nerve of the tooth should be tested and an X-ray should be taken to make sure there is no infection.

Dr. Maddahi

Kourosh Maddahi, DDS
Beverly Hills Dentist

Sensitive tooth

It's difficult to give you an exact answer to your question without more information. It is possible that you need a root canal if the decay was very deep. I suggest getting an appointment with your dentist ASAP. You don't want to wait for this to become a larger problem.