What is a capsular contracture? Or what does one look like? I don't think I have one, just curious.

Capsular Contracture Explanation

Dear sreddy91,

Any time an artificial manmade device is placed in the body whether it be a breast implant, a pacemaker or an artificial joint, your body will form a layer of tissue around it called the capsule. That is your own tissue. Sometimes that tissue can start to contract down, and then the normal dome-shaped implant gets drawn higher up on the chest and assumes a more spherical look. It can actually get to the point where it is harder and painful. There are many things a surgeon can include in his or her technique to lower the incidence of that. In addition, the incision under the breast as well as position of the implant underneath the pectoralis major muscle yields a lower contracture rate.

Most recently a newer so-called structured saline implant called the Ideal implant is found at six years’ time to have the lowest capsular contracture rate.

I hope this has been helpful.

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Capsular contracture

A capsular contracture usually presents as a firm or distorted breast that contains an implant. It can be painful. Treatment is removing the capsule and implants, and exchanging with a new implant.

A capsular contracture occurs when scar tissue around the breast implant, called a capsule, contracts and tightens around the breast implant.  The restriction of movement caused by the tight capsule can cause pain and makes the breast feel very hard.  There are 4 grades of capsular contracture.  Grade 3 and 4 usually require surgical removal of the capsule and implant, replacement of the implant and wrapping of the implant with a membrane called acellular dermal matrix.

Thank you for your question.  Capsular contracture is a hardening/tightening of the scar tissue that forms around all breast implants and is rated along a 4 point severity scale termed the Baker classification.  Type I contracture is basically a normal breast, no abnormality can be seen or felt with your breast or implant.  Type II contracture demonstrates a thickening, hardening, or firmness of your implant that can only be identified by feel.  Type III contracture can be both felt, as well as seen as a visible distortion to the breast.  Lastly, Type IV can be felt, seen, and painful.  Hope this helps.

Capsular contracture

Capsular contracture is a thickening and hardening of scar tissue around a breast implant. It can increase in severity over time and in severe cases can be associated with deformity and pain in the affected breast. It can be treated surgically with release or removal of the scar tissue and adjustment or replacement of the implant.

Salem Samra, MD
Middletown Plastic Surgeon

Capsular Contracture

Thanks for your question! Capsular contracture is a condition where the scar capsule around the breast implant gets thickened and hardened, causing firmness, visible difference and asymmetry, and even pain. There are different grades of contracture, and although they can sometimes be resolved through non-operative means, they may require surgery. Some studies put rates of contracture as high as 20%, and it is more common in smokers. 

I've found that in my experience of doing thousands of implant surgeries, implant massage (I start at 3 weeks post op) really helps to prevent this condition. Best of luck to you! 

Robert P. Schmid, MD
Lubbock Plastic Surgeon