Will a septoplasty straighten my nose's appearance? (Photo)

I have a deviated septum that bends my nose to one side and changes the appearance of my face when looking from either the left or right side. The middle portion of my nose is bent so the tip of my nose is bent to my right and my nose looks weird. Also, I cannot breathe very well from one nostril.

Will septoplasty straighten my nose

A septoplasty surgery can help improve breathing but will not straighten the external appearance of the nose. Septoplasty is performed to improve breathing. A rhinoplasty is usually done for aesthetic reasons. I would discuss these issues with a facial plastic surgeon. 

San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Septo-rhinoplasty candidate to fix deviated septum, alleviate the breathing problems, and straighten the nose

Performing a septoplasty will alleviate your breathing problems. A rhinoplasty improves the appearance of your nose. The two surgeries can be performed on the same day. Consult with three experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons to understand your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Rhinoplasty for cosmetic purposes, septoplasty for breathing problems

Performing a septoplasty will only improve air flow through the nose, and not change the shape of it. A septoplasty is performed for medical necessity when there is blockage of airflow in the back of the nose due to twisted bone and cartilage. A rhinoplasty is performed for cosmetic purposes and will change the shape of the nose and straighten it. Patients must pay for the cosmetic rhinoplasty, while medical insurance can be billed for the septoplasty, once medical necessity has been documented. For many examples and more information on the differences between rhinoplasty and septoplasty, please see the link below