I'm a 46dd and I'm very fibrocystic. Will a breast reduction help me?

I have pain in my neck, shoulders, and arms. 

Thank you for the question. Based on your description, you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery at some point. “Official” recommendations of course would necessitate in-person consultation.

Breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. By removing “excess” breast tissue, adipose tissue, and breast skin  this operation reduces and lifts the breasts to a higher position on the chest wall. When a breast reduction is performed, a breast “lift” occurs as part of the procedure. Patients often find improvement in neck, back, and shoulder discomfort and find it easier to form their activities of daily living and exercise. 

Ultimately, whether or not to undergo breast reduction surgery will be a very personal decision best made after carefully weighing the pros/cons associated with the procedure.  The pros are listed above. Some of the risks/potential complications associated with breast reduction surgery include:  infection, bleeding, seroma, hematoma, wound healing problems, abnormal scarring ( hypertrophic or keloid),  loss of sensation, inability to breast-feed, breast asymmetry, necrosis of tissue or skin,  unsatisfactory cosmetic results, unpredictability of exact cup size postoperatively,  recurrence of the breast hypertrophy, and the potential for further surgery.

Once you have selected your plastic surgeon, communicate your goals carefully. I suggest that you do not communicate your goals in terms of achieving a specific cup size. For example, a “C cup” may mean different things to different people and therefore may be a source of miscommunication. In my practice, I ask patients to communicate their goals with the help of goal photographs. I hope this, and the attached link, helps.  Best wishes.

Will a Breast Reduction Help Me?

If you feel your breasts are too large for your liking, then you are a candidate for a breast reduction.  Whether or not insurance covers the procedure is dependent on your insurance and your symptoms.  While breast reduction is often helpful at relieving pain symptoms, relief of pain cannot be guaranteed.  I recommend you contact your insurance company and see if breast reduction is a covered benefit, and if it is, consult with a plastic surgeon in your network to discuss your options.

Dr. Dan Krochmal

MAE Plastic Surgery

Northbrook, IL

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon