What is wrong with my nose? (photos)

Most people say that they don't notice but my nose is very obviously slanted to the right. I don't know if it's a deviated septum but I hear that septoplasty doesn't change the look of the nose. I want to visibly straighten out my nose but I don't know if septoplasty or rhinoplasty would be required. I need opinions

Doctor Answers 6

Nasal Deviation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I suggest you consider a combined procedure including a septoplasty and rhinoplasty to straighten your entire nose including the septum which will improve both the appearance of your nose and nasal breathing which is probably compromised secondary to your deviation and asymmetry..

Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 43 reviews

Crooked nose

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
A septorhinoplasty with osteotomies and spreader grafts can certainly help straighten your nose.  I suggest visiting with some plastic surgeons and get some opinions and recommendations.  Best wishes. 

Jules Walters, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 61 reviews

Rhinoplasty to straighten crooked nose

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
  From the very limited photographs, it appears that the nose is crooked with both nasal bones being displaced to the patient's left side, and an inwardly displaced right upper lateral cartilage. To straighten the crooked nose usually requires osteotomies placed in the nasal bones to straighten them, in addition to a cartilaginous spreader graft placed underneath the concave upper lateral cartilage on the patient's right side.  A septoplasty is only performed for medical necessity to improve airflow in the back of the nose, and will not change the shape of the nose visibly from the outside. For more information and many examples of  crooked nose repair, please see the link and the video below

William Portuese, MD
Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 157 reviews

You might also like...

Nasal Consultation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
In your front view photo you appear to have a slight concavity to the area of the right upper lateral cartilage. There is a suggestion that the end of your septum aligns with the right side of your columella, which could indicate a deviated nasal septum also. Overall, I agree that this gives you a minor slant to the nose in your front view, characteristic of a c-shaped nasal dorsal deformity.
You should see an experienced nasal surgeon for a consultation to confirm the anatomical findings. If confirmed, straightening of your nose could be achieved via the placement of a right spreader cartilage graft, along with a septoplasty. However, if your examination reveals a somewhat more complicated situation, you may need to consider a full rhinoplasty for correction and/or nasal bone osteotomies for correction. Hope this answer helps. 

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Correction of 'curved' nose

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You appear to have some asymmetry of the 'dorsal aesthetic lines' that run from the eyebrow area to the nasal tip. This can be corrected with rhinoplasty - specifically, dorsal spreader grafts and other techniques.

Rhinoplasty to straighten crooked nose

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
No one ever "needs" a rhinoplasty. It is an elective procedure and only you can determine if your nasal features concern you enough to do something about improving the cosmetic appearance of your nose and whether it would worthwhile. The nasal area that you described and would like improved can be addressed with an artistically performed rhinoplasty and possible septoplasty and  by a plastic surgeon with extensive experience in nasal surgery. Both function and cosmetic appearance are taken into account.  
Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do based on a limited two dimensional photo without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or facial plastic surgeon (ENT) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.
Robert Singer, MD FACS
La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 22 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.