Why does a weight loss goal need to be reached before breast augmentation?

Besides the obvious of minimizing risk of complications post-surgery. I'm approaching my BA surgery date but have about 30 pounds to lose before I reach my goal weight. I've been seeing a lot of doctors say to lose the weight before surgery, but why? And since women's weight constantly fluctuates, how do these fluctuations affect the implants internally/externally? If they're going to look deformed, I will put off having surgery until I've lost weight.

Cosmetic surgery should be done at a weight that you will maintain

as fluctuations will impact the outcome of your results.  Weight loss could lead to ptosis of your breasts and would change the recommended procedures.  So you do not need to lose weight to have augmentation but MUST be able to maintain your weight easily so you won't have undesired changes post-op.

Weight loss goal reached before surgery

The reason why we say get closer to your ideal (realistic) weight is that if you loose 30 lbs it will likely make your breasts much smaller.  If you just put in lets say 300cc to get you the "look" you wanted, but them you lost 30 lbs then suddenly your breasts will no longer have the same look.  Therefore you will have gone through a surgery but in the end be dissatisfied.  If you are closer to 10 lbs of your weight goal it will be better.  Plus some women who loose 30 lbs might need a lift to their breasts.  Other then above you can have breast augmentation as long as your BMI is within healthy range.  Best of luck to you 

Milind K. Ambe, MD

Weight loss goals prior to breast augmentation

There are not discrete 'rules' for weight loss prior to cosmetic breast surgery. I'd recommend you achieve a weight that you are personally happy with and can maintain long term. Breast augmentation is safe for patients of virtually all body types, including obese patients.

Cosmetic surgery and planned weight loss

Thanks for your question.  It is always best to be within 5-10 lbs of your goal weight.  For the breasts specifically, it doesn't have as much to do with the implants themselves but rather the changes that can occur in your natural breast volume.  Losing weight may cause you to lose volume in the breasts which can impact the ultimate implant size chosen.  It may also influence your need for a breast lift to tighten skin.  

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

That weight loss may or may not be important for you, it would take photos to know. But if you have surgery, get a great look, then lose weight and your breasts get small you may be very unhappy and have to spend several thousand more dollars to redo the surgery. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Weight loss

If you are definitely going to lose weight before surgery, then it might be best to wait because your breasts may shrink as well.

I wouldn't force my wait loss before surgery

Forcing yourself to lose weight prior to surgery is a bad idea for several reasons; first, you will be malnourished and more likely to create healing issues; second you are creating a false canvas for your surgeon to work with; he will make your breasts a certain size and then you will go back to your comfort weight which will likely be more than you are prior to your forced weight; this will throw your results off because he was gaging your breasts for a different weight; my recommendation is to get any surgery at your comfort weight; the weight that your body wants to be at.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Weight

Thank you for the question and weight fluctuations of any kind can adversely affect your result particularly if the breast increases and decreases in size with those fluctuations 

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Weight Loss

Good morning,

What I typically tell my patients is to get close to your goal weight. Say within 10 pounds or so. You are bound to lose fat in your breasts as you will everywhere with a 30 pound weight loss. You may require lifting, upsizing of the implant etc., based upon the look you wanted before surgery. Most peoples weight does not necessarily fluctuate by 30 pounds. You next realistically need to look at when you will achieve that 30 pound loss. If it takes an extended period of time, then think about your happiness with your figure as that time passes. Some patients have said they would like to proceed with surgery knowing they may need a tweak or two when the final condition is known. Best wishes! Talk to your surgeon again!

Thank you for sharing your question and congratulations on your upcoming surgery!  Weight fluctuations cause changes in the volume, tone, elasticity and sagging of your natural breast tissue which may cause a less than desirable result after implant placement.    The best long-term results with any aesthetic procedure are obtained when weight fluctuations are kept to a minimum.  Hope this helps.