Will a tummy tuck help me? (Photo)

After 15 years and 4 c-sections in finally taking the step of getting a tummy tuck. I recently posted pics and asked what kind of tummy tuck would suit me best and if I was a candidate for a fleur de lis tummy tuck. I was advised that my pics were hard to judge and were taken from akward angles. A couple of doctors advised me that I have a lot if intra abdominal fat and that a tummy tuck wont address the problem. Others advised me that I am a great candidate for a tummy tuck,full or extended.

Tummy tuck candidate

Thanks for your question and for posting your photos. It looks like you would be a good candidate for a tummy tuck, although without a proper examination it is difficult to say for certain. You could schedule an in office consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. You can find one in your area by going to ASPS.org

Kennewick Plastic Surgeon

You can have a tummy tuck

but it will not make you flat as most people  get when having this procedure.  If an improvement is good enough, you can have it.  If you want perfection, you will not get it but if a surgeon guarantees that you will be flat, get it in writing and know what happens if revisions are needed. The results you get from a tummy tuck will look like what you seen when laying flat on your back... is that good enough?

Curtis Wong, MD

Tummy tuck

Hi and thanks for your question and posted photos. I would have been good to have your weight and height to determine your body mass index. At this point you are candidate for extended TT, be sure to go to a board certified plastic surgeon to have all your doubts clear.

Dr. Milla

Hector Milla, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Tummu tuck candidate?

You are a great candidate for tummy tuck surgery based on your photos. However, you will require an examination to determine the tone of your muscles.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Tummy tuck after multiple children

Hello shadylady32,

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photos.  Your photos are a good representation but intra-bdominal fat is extremely difficult to judge without a physical exam.  However from the fourth photo it does seem that you have a substantial amount of fat that is extra-abdominal.  After multiple children the abdominal muscles can move away from the midline and cause a permanent look of fullness to the abdomen.

If you are otherwise healthy, you would be a great candidate for a full tummy tuck that would include muscle tightening and liposuction of abdomen and flanks.  Tightening the muscles helps to flatten the abdomen and improve the contour.   The liposuction would remove a lot of the excess fat and help smoothen the transition from your abdomen to your hips. 

I hope that this helps you with your decision making process.  I recommend finding a plastic surgeon you feel comfortable with to perform a full exam and talk about your goals.  That way you can together come up with a plan to help you achieve you body contour desires.

Best of Luck!

Dr. Rednam

Tummy tuck

Based on your pics I think that a Tummy Tuck would be best for you. Then you can have the Abdomen tightened and smaller with the excess skin removed from there. You would need to consult with a surgeon and see what they say, but I am almost positive that they will say to have a Tummy Tuck done.

Best type of tummy tuck/ abdominoplasty?

Looking at your photos, it is difficult to tell you exactly how much intra-abdominal fat you have. I certainly would recommend you be evaluated by a surgeon who is certified by the American Board of plastic surgery to get a better understanding. That said, it also looks like you have a Fair amount of loose abdominal skin and stretch marks. I feel that you would be a very good candidate for a full or extended abdominoplasty/tummy tuck.

I wish you the best.

Dr. Gabbay.

Joubin Gabbay, MD

TUmmy Tuck

Dear Shadylady32,

Thank you for posting pictures of your case. Based on those pictures I would agree you are a great candidate for a full tummy tuck. This procedure would remove the fat and skin excess below your belly bottom; and would repair your abdominal wall giving you a flatter abdomen. I would suggest you to consider having some liposuction on the sides to improve the outcome. Best wishes.

Kelvin Eusebio, MD

Am I a candidate for a tummy tuck

Hello and thanks for the post.  Obviously there is no substitute for an in-person examination with a board certified plastic surgeon.  Your pics are certainly helpful, but don't be too discouraged if doctors suggest you may not be a candidate as we are operating on limited information.  This forum is best used as a way to get general information about a particular procedure and not necessarily to tell you whether or not you can have a particular surgery.  Ultimately, a visit to a plastic surgeon will be your best bet for getting satisfying and accurate answers.

All that said, it does appear from your photos that you do have a component of excess skin, skin laity, and soft tissue which might make a tummy tuck possible for you.  As far as a fleur de lis pattern, I rarely find this necessary and reserve it for patients with extreme abdominal skin laxity who are not candidates for a body lift.  My guess is that this would not necessarily be needed for you.  Echoing your comments, you may have a component of intra-abdominal fat that is responsible for the protrusion of your abdomen.  How much - and whether this precludes you from TT surgery - is really difficult to ascertain without an examination.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Tummy tuck expectations

Thank you for your post, and the photos are helpful. I would say that a standard TT will definitely help you improve your contour. You would need some targeted liposuction as well. However, you probably have some element of intra-abdominal fat that will not go away with any procedure. That requires diet & exercise. A fleur-de-lis incision may help get out even more tissue, but trades that for a vertical scar. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon