Should I get a mini tuck or no surgical alternative? (Photo)

I'm 30, a mom of 4 ages 8, 6, 2, & 10 mos old! In the last 8 months I started my fit journey & Lost 30lbs. I'm petite 5' 1" & 109lbs, 10 mos ago I was 167lbs right before the birth of my 4th baby! I was always under 110lbs but the last 4yrs I let myself go! I love my weight now & the new abs I've earned but the skin/stretchmarks has to go! What's the best route for my situation? At one point I considered a tummy tuck but now I'm not sure about going under the knife.

Fit Mother of Four

Congratulations on your body transformation!  After having four children, you have achieved lovely abs!  However, from your photos, it looks like you have a separation of your central abdominal muscles (rectus diastasis).   In order to realign these central vertical muscles, and remove the excess skin, you would need to undergo a full tummy tuck. This will result in a flatter, better contoured abdominal profile, even when bending over.

Best Wishes!

Full tummy tuck

From these photos, you seem to be a candidate for a tummy tuck. A full tummy tuck is the only thing that can address the skin laxity you have above the belly button. Definitely seek out a board certified plastic surgeon in your area with an expertise in Body Contouring Surgery for a consultation. Be sure to express your expectations and goals to the surgeon your choose. Good luck! 

Dean Vistnes, M.D. Vistnes Plastic Surgery San Francisco Bay Area

#realself #tummytuck #drdeanvistnes

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck

Hi cynthia_johnsen

Thank You for your pictures and questions. Based on the pictures you submitted it looks as if you would benefit from a full Tummy Tuck. I suggest consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area. Best of Luck!

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck does what exercise doesn't

First, don't waste your money on nonsurgical procedures for the abdomen because none will do enough to be worth it. Second, after the amount of weight loss you have had (congratulations on that) there is no substitute for a tummy tuck. If exercise could tighten skin and repair separated muscles after pregnancy, we would send our patients to the gym instead of taking them to surgery! A mini tummy tuck generally improves the lower abdomen only.

Richard Baxter, MD

Dr Derby

Thank you for your question and the photos. I would recommend you a full Tummy Tuck to adress and improve the areas important for you. Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Abdominal Options

It appears that you would be best served with a full Tummy Tuck. Make sure you seek an in person consultation with a Board Certified Plastic surgeon in your area. Tummy Tuck would address loose skin and excess tissue. Congratulations on your weight loss and hard work. best of luck. 

Robert Heck, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Best operation for me; abdominal wall after pregnancy?

Thank you for the question and pictures. Congratulations on your weight loss; you have done everything you can, besides undergoing surgery to achieve a nice looking abdominal wall.

Based on your pregnancy history, photographs, and stated goals, you will do best with a full tummy tuck operation. In my practice, I would not offer you a mini tuck operation.   Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.

In my opinion, the mini tummy tuck is an operation that produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For the vast majority of patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results.   When the time is right, seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients achieve the types of outcomes you would be pleased with.  

You may find the attached link, dedicated to tummy tuck surgery concerns, helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes. 

Tummy tuck

you need a full tummy tuck, you have done a nice job as you are 30 pounds less than before but after four babies you will need a full tummy tuck to get your sagging skin and stretch marks out. Good luck!

Australia Fragoso-Baez, MD