I used cello tape on my nose for 30 mins after a month of surgery. Have I damaged my results?

Someone told me to use cello tape on my nose to make it more straight. I had rhinoplasty done a month ago. I added the tape from then left side of the nose and pulled it over the and stuck the other end to the check. Left it for 30 mins and then took it off. There was a little dented skin that I noticed aligned where the tape sides were. That freaked me out a bit. I hope it won't be permanent. The lines have gone away I feel after a while. But should I be concerned?

Tape on nose

Tape is often times used to help the nose to heal in a certain way.  Taping generally doesn't change what was done during the surgery but can certainly affect the healing process.  I would recommend that you see your surgeon and tell him/her your concerns about this.

Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

1 month post rhinoplasty taping

Did your surgeon ask you to tape your nose this way?  Occasionally, we will ask our patients to tape the nose to influence the vector forces during healing.  I think your question needs to be answered by your surgeon.  If osteotomies were performed, you can still affect the shape of your nose with taping.  Best of luck!

Elbert T. Cheng, MD
San Jose Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Without an exam online consultants cannot determine if you have damaged your nose.  In general, it is a big mistake to tape your nose without instructions from your surgeon.  See you surgeon for an exam as soon as possible.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD