Brachioplasty or liposculpture? (Photo)

Hello! I had RNY 12/2009 and after losing 130lbs I am now looking into plastic surgery. I am able to stuff the rest of me into a bodyshaper. But my arms are my main concern. I've spoke to a few doctors and some are recommending lipoescultura. (Some are saying I still have elasticity in my arms were the skin would be okay) Is lipoescultura the same as liposuction? or different? I was thinking doing a brachioplasty? Your thoughts please?

Brachioplasty or liposculpture?

Those must have been younger surgeons that recommended liposculpture over brachioplasty. Those of us that have been doing liposuction of various types for many years can be sure it would leave you very dissatisfied and feeling like you totally wasted your money. The skin is not going to retract adequately, no matter what variety of liopsuction machine is used and you will wind up having to have the brachioplasty later, so why not just do the correct procedure now?

This is an easy answer...

Please consult with plastic surgeons that actually deal with patients that have had massive weight-loss.

Liposculture alone is the wrong choice for you.

If you were my patient I would recommend a combination, breast lift with implants, arm lifts, associated with an upper back lift. This will address all the sites that will help you fit into your clothes.

This is usually done as one operation. 

Eventually a lower body lift will help with your lower body skin redundancies.

Congratulations on losing your weight. Don't get talked into lipo alone. This is only treated successfully with skin excision.

Kimberly A. Henry, MD
Greenbrae Plastic Surgeon

Brachioplasty

Based on the photos, brachioplasty would definitely give you the best results. Make sure to schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Jaime Perez, MD

Lift vs lipo

Based on photos and history for optimal improvement I feel a lift combined with judicious Lipo might be best

Robert Savage, MD (retired)
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Brachioplasty

You could definitely benefit from a  brachioplasty.  The surgery will remove the excess skin that hangs down when you hold your arms out.

Look at my before and after pictures using the link below to see actual results. 

Adam L. Basner, MD

Brachioplaaty

Great job on losing weight!!! You have extra skin in arms and the only way to get this amount of skin tighter is through a Brachioplasty.  Any other treatments will leave you with minimal results. Find a board certified plastic surgeon in your area that specializes in body contouring post weight loss. 

M. Bradley Calobrace, MD, FACS

Brachioplasty/Liposuction/Liposculpture and their differences.

Congratulations on losing 130 pounds !  I know you are excited about your new body. Is is not unusual to have excess skin of the body after major weight loss. Many patients complain of the excess skin of the arms. Looking at your pictures you have a considerable amount of excess skin along the entire arms.  Liposuction alone would not solve your problem.  Liposuction  removes excess fat using blunt cannulas with a suction machine.  Liposculpture removes fat using blunt cannulas connected to a syringe.  Both techniques remove fat and can leave you with more loose skin than you had before, especially on patients who have poor quality skin. Usually when patients have a massive weight loss they do not have great elasticity of the skin.  Brachioplasty removes excess skin along the arm.  The incision can be placed along the inner inferior aspect of the arm which is less visible.  The scar is usually made from the armpit area to the elbow.  Some patients have excess skin  of the forearm and the skin can be removed from the elbow down to the wrist at the same time the brachioplasty is done. Most patients wear a garment for 4-6 weeks. Brachioplasty can be performed as a same day surgery.  Most patients have a very easy recovery. Most patients take off one week of work unless they have requirements of heavy lifting, pushing, pulling and then I require these patients to be off or with light duty for 4-6 weeks.

Jeanne A. Scanland, MD
Chattanooga Plastic Surgeon

Combination of Both

Thank you for your question and photos. In order to get a good result, you will need a combination of liposuction and an armlift.  Consult with a surgeon experienced with this technique and body contouring after weight loss.

George Bitar, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Brachioplasty

Hello Chixlett, I join to the congrats from Dr Cash for your weight loss, and based on the photos I suggest Brachipolasty for your case because the big flaccidity  and excess skin.
Liposuction alone could not be able to treat it.
Good luck !!

Fulvio Correa, MD
Colombia Plastic Surgeon

Arm lift

Congratulations on your weight loss! Brachioplasty is the best procedure based on your photos.  There is too much excess skin for it to be addressed by liposuction and I think you would end up disappointed in the results. Best of luck!

Camille Cash, MD