When can I start wearing underwire bras?

When can I start wearing underwire bras? I had my breast augmentation on October 2 and got 450cc high profile saline.

Underwire bra

Thank you for your posting.  I usually recommend my patients wear the postoperative bra for about 4 weeks.  Please check in with your own doctor because they may have unique recommendations based on your healing progress.

I appreciate your question.

Best to discuss with your surgeon as each surgeon has their own post op protocol about this subject.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

4 weeks

I recommend patients wait for four weeks before wearing an underwire bra to avoid damaging the breast incision

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Underwire bra

Thank you for your question. Each Plastic Surgeon will have their own preferred post op protocols. I recommend avoidance of underwire bras for 2 months post BBA and I provide a high-quality surgical bra. Talk to your Plastic Surgeon about their recommendations for you.

All the best!

Wearing Underwire Bra post Op BAM

Thank you for your question.  Every plastic surgeon has their own post operative care instructions. In my practice I advise my patients to wait 4-6 weeks to ensure all incisions are healed properly.  I would recommend you contact your surgeon for clarity.  I hope this helps.  Congratulations on your Breast Augmentation, Enjoy!     

Camille Cash, MD

Wearing an underwire bra

Thank you for your question. Plastic Surgeons have different answers to this question. I personally do not recommend routine use of underwire bras because they may damage the implant in the long run. I am okay when patients use underwire bras for special occasions but not everyday use. I would recommend you consult your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who operated on you. Best of luck to you and I hope your find this information useful.   

Joshua Halpern, MD, PA

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure. There is no “standard” when it comes to the use of specific bras or garments after breast surgery. In other words, different plastic surgeons may have different practices when it comes to postoperative dressings/bras.
In my practice, patients wake up with a surgical bra in place. This surgical bra, although not attractive, is supportive and used for about one month after surgery (some of my patients have been known to burn the bra ASAP). Then, patients transition to a soft sports bra. Wired bras are used when breast implants have reached their “final position” and patients have full sensation along the breast skin.

Generally, the longer I have been in practice, the more I appreciate the use of supportive bras after breast augmentation and revisionary breast surgery. I think that the support provided by bras can only help keep breast implants in proper position, especially during the first year as the breast implant capsule thickens and becomes more supportive itself. This additional support may be especially helpful when patients are lying down and/or engaged in strenuous exercise. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

When can I wear underwire bras?

Each surgeon has their own protocol regarding wearing under wire bras after augmentation.  You should be able to wear then now.  Just make sure they are not too tight and that the wire is not cutting into the incision under the breast.  However, it is best to check with your surgeon and follow their directions.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon