What if I don't like the surgeon I got authorized for my Breast Reduction? (photos)

My name is Rachel and I am 20 years old. I am 5'3 and weight about 165 lbs with 36G breasts. I am planning to lose weight, and even at about 135lbs I was a 34FF. I am looking to become a small D or full C. I was approved through insurance to meet with a surgeon, but he is the only one I was approved for. Do I have to take the initiative to reach out to other surgeons or do I do that through my primary doctor?

Patient choice

You should be comfortable with your plastic surgeon.If you are not,  you can consult with another plastic surgeon or ask your PCP for recommendations. If you have a HMO you may need a referral from your PCP, otherwise it's your choice.

If you are already approved,  your new surgeon will file the appropriate paperwork and get a new authorization.  

Best of luck

Suffolk Plastic Surgeon

What if I don't like the surgeon I got authorized for my Breast Reduction?

As a patient, you always have the right to seek a second opinion for any surgical procedure, including a breast reduction.  If you see another surgeon and would like to have them preform your surgery, this surgeon may need to again get a new authorization for your procedure, but this should not necessarily be a problem.  Check to see what other plastic surgeons are in your health plan and ask you primary doctor for help in this matter.  He/she should be able to help.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Doctor-patient rapport

You are making a life changing decision. When undergoing this procedure, you and your surgeon are a team and are traveling this road together. It is therefore imperative that you feel comfortable with your surgeon. The procedure is not an emergency. You should not be pressured into this at such a young age if your are not comfortable. Work with your insurance carrier and referring physician to seek out alternatives. 

Wayne I. Yamahata, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Changing Breast Reduction Surgeon

Thank you very much for your question. I would not recommend moving forward with your breast reduction if you are uncomfortable with your surgeon. My recommendation would be for you to schedule a consultation with a different, board certified plastic surgeon for a second opinion. Listen to your gut, and only move forward with an experienced, board certified plastic surgeon that makes you feel comfortable. Peace of mind and satisfying results will be worth the added effort.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

What if I don't like surgeon authorized for my breast reduction?

Hi Rachel,

I understand how important insurance coverage might be for some individuals. However, instead of allowing an insurance company to dictate what type of surgery you should have, it might be worth your while to investigate better options. At 20yrs old, you should consider the ability to breast feed and preserving nipple sensitivity a priority. Longevity and aesthetics should also come into play for a young woman like yourself. I have attached a short video of what current breast lift/reduction technology can actually achieve. Please feel free to look at my gallery to find women closer to your dimensions. I hope this helps.

Best wishes and kind regards,

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction surgery and choosing a surgeon

The insurance companies typically have a number of surgeons to choose from that will work with your insurance. Talk to a few different surgeons before making a decision about this life changing surgical procedure.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

If you want your insurance company to pay for the surgery you will need to have one of the surgeons on their panel do the procedure. I suspect they have several plastic surgeons they work with. You should be able to call the company or go online and see which plastic surgeons they authorize and then contact the company and request authorization to see one of the others. Good luck and you are going to love the change brought about in your life from the breast reduction. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Careful selection of plastic surgeon will be the most important decision you make when it comes to successful surgical outcome; it will be important that you be very comfortable with your decision. Either your insurance company directly and/or your primary care doctor will help you when it comes to selecting your plastic surgeon. 

My best suggestion: ask to see lots of examples of his/her work and communicate your goals carefully as well. It's best to avoid terminology such as "full C, small D cup".  In my practice, the use of photographs is very helpful during this communication process. You may find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.