What kind of exercise 5 days post breast augmentation surgery?

Can I at least walk for 2 to 3 miles? Or I can't really do anything at all? I am so bored.

How much activity postop

Hello Matuts01-
I have my patients stay cool and calm for about 2 wks as that is about the time that it takes for the body to strengthen all the little cautery clots that surgeons create to control bleeding during surgery. Before that time period ends, an increase in your blood pressure (BP) can pop off those little 'cautery clots' and you can create a hematoma. Between 2-4 weeks, and increase in BP is ok, but I still hold my patients off exercise as your tissues and muscle are still acclimatizing to the new scenario. If bored, consider using that time to exercise your mind/spirit through meditation, self-reflection, etc.
Dr. A

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your question.  It is always best to first consult with your surgeon as they are familiar with your specific case and recovery.  However, our patients are advised that light exercise, the type that does not significantly increase your heart rate, is allowed after one to two weeks.  For more strenuous activities such as the cardio exercise you describe, we advise our patients to wait a minimum of 2-4 weeks.

Best regards,
Dr. Lane F. Smith, MD
Plastic Surgeon
Las Vegas, NV

Lane Smith, MD

Exercise after breast augmentation

Thanks for posting your question. I am happy to try and help you. It is important to remember that a board certified plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment of your situation, and concerns.

Having said that, you should speak to your plastic surgeon. Online consultants are not the appropriate source of information for you; your plastic surgeon should be your resource when it comes to postoperative concerns.

Dr. Michael J. Brown
Northern Virginia Plastic Surgeon

Most of the patients we see are healthy and active so learning to take time to recover doesn't come naturally. At this point you feel better than your body is recovered. You'll find yourself back on narcotics if you push too hard so take it easy, walk for 20 minutes and see how you feel, take a rest. Repeat later in the day if you feel good.

Robert Frank, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation Recovery

Check with your surgeon as he or she knows your case intimately. Slow walking (think a stroll) that does not increase your heart rate should be fine, but I generally encourage my patients to wait a month before returning to regular exercise. I know it's boring, but remember that you waited a long time to get your new fabulous breasts and you want to take good care of them, right?

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

I appreciate your question.

Best to check with your surgeon as he/she is most familiar with how you are healing at this time and should also have a detailed set of post op instructions for you to follow.  

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast  surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure.Timing to return to specific types of exercise will vary from one patient to another. Best to check with your plastic surgeon for specific advice.  Assuming that your heart rate does not increase significantly, slow walking should not be a problem.  Again, best to confirm with your plastic surgeon who knows your  situation best and is ultimately responsible for your care.

Generally, I suggest patients gradually ease back into the strenuous aerobic exercise 4 to 6 weeks postoperatively, assuming that they are doing well and there have been no complications. Lower body exercise can generally be resumed 2 weeks postoperatively. Use common sense, listen to your body, and gradually resume previous activity. In my practice, I ask patients to avoid contact and strenuous exercise involving the pectoralis major muscles ( such as push-ups, bench press, burpees, dancing on a pole…) for at least 3-6 months. Best wishes.