Do I have Capsular Contracture? (Photo)

I had saline implants placed under the muscle exactly 4 months ago. Two weeks ago I was working out and did an exercise that specifically targeted my pec muscles (I was working out shoulders but this specific exercise was at a declined angle) and I felt my right boob hurt instantly. The next day (maybe 2) I woke up and right right boob as slightly harder and swollen (much higher on my chest) than normal. Prope to this my boobs had settled perfectly.

Capsular Contracture?

Capsular contracture is a problem that develops gradually and usually takes more that 4 months to become evident. A sudden change in breast size and implant position, like what you have experienced, is most likely the result of a capsular tear with some subsequent bleeding into the implant pocket (did you notice any bruising?). This will result in upwards displacement of your implant. Assuming this is what has happened, you need to get in to see your surgeon as soon as possible. If there is blood in the implant pocket it will need to be surgically drained to allow your implant to settle back into position. If this is not addressed, then the blood in the pocket will create inflammation of the capsule and likely result in real capsular contracture.

Do I have Capsular Contracture?

From your description of what happened and your photos, I believe you may have sustained a tear to your right breast capsule and possibly had some bleeding, as well.  If this occurred, it would not be unusual to develop a subsequent capsular contracture.   Check back with your surgeon, he/she should be able to help.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Is this a sudden capsule contracture four months after breast augmentation?

Sorry to hear of your "accident."  Something untoward has happened during your exercise regimen and as others have stated you need to be seen by your plastic surgeon in the very near future.  This may represent a hematoma or seroma as a result of a terror of your capsule and the sooner it is evaluated the better. Good luck and best wishes. Title RealSelf

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Capsular Contracture

Hi Sinman01,

Given your history and the fact that your right breast was fine before your exercise it appears that contraction of the pectoralis muscle might have torn a muscle fiber or possibly the capsule and resulted in bleeding.  The bleeding then has to be absorbed by your body and it creates an inflammatory process which ultimately results in scar formation and capsular contracture.  You can try massaging her breasts gently and make an appointment to see her surgeon as soon as you can.  Good luck

Alfonso Oliva, MD, FACS
Spokane Plastic Surgeon

Sudden change in implant position

Thank you for your question and photos. With such a sudden change in your right breast and your history of how it happened, it is likely that you may have torn your capsule and possibly caused some bleeding. This would account for the increased size and change in position. I would recommend that you see your PS as soon as possible to be assessed in person. Best of luck, Dr. Kludt

Nathan Kludt, MD
Stockton Plastic Surgeon

Capsular contracture or fluid around the implant

With your history of pain with lifting immediately with a change in your breast I think you may have torn your capsule around the implant and may have caused some bleeding called a hematoma. I recommend you follow-up as soon as you can with your plastic surgeon. An ultrasound study will be able to tell if this is the case.I hope this helpsDr. Edwards

Capsular contracture

You have severe scar tissue of the right breast associated with blunt trauma to it. A capsular year probably occurred and now there is scar tissue with possible residual seroma 

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

Do I have Capsular Contracture? (Photo)

Hard to answer without an in person exam. You may have displaced the implant but best to follow up with your operating surgeon so you can be properly examined and evaluated in person. Good luck!

4 Months Post Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your inquiry and providing pictures.  It may be possible that you have  capsular contracture. The most reliable and common way to treat capular contracture is to remove the capsule and replace the implant. Before deciding, I would definitely advise to go back and see your plastic surgeon for assessment and possibly have a few tests done. The sooner the better. Best of Luck.

Capsular Contracture?

Sorry to hear about your problem.  You definitely have asymmetry with the right side significantly higher than the left.  This can be capsular contracture or you may have a fluid collection raising the implant/breast higher.  This needs to be seen by your surgeon in person to make the diagnosis.   You may need additional surgery to correct this.  But I would definitely see your physician ASAP; this will not correct itself and requires medical examination and may worsen without being seen.

Andrew Freel, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon