Am I a good candidate for upper eye lid surgery? (photos)

I have always been bothered with my puffy eye lids. They are more obvious under the direct sun light. Makeup covers some but not enough. Wedding photo was from 2010 and rest from this year. 

Upper blepharoplasty is more than skin

The cause of the loose skin is often multifactorial.  Fat loss can play as much a part as excess skin itself.  Muscle laxity also must be addressed.  It would be impotant to see photographs of you from your youth to see what has changed so that when surgery is done you continue to look as you did then. The Asian lid has different anatomy and this must be taken into consideration to avoid unwanted Westernization or over correction which can be aging rather than rejuvenating.

Anyone can have lid procedures done

but you have to define exactly what you want and then a plan is formulated for you to achieve your goals.  Make sure your chosen surgeon has good experience with Asian eyes (I myself am limited due to the demographics of my town) and can handle any complications or undesired effects from your procedure.  And also know what your surgeon's revision policy is and that it is acceptable to you, just in case you need it.  

Curtis Wong, MD

Am I ready for eyelid surgery?

The eyelid anatomy in those of asian descent is unique. So are the goals of surgery. Forming a low, natural crease, removing a small amount of skin, repositioning some of the eyelid fat, may all be options to help you reach your goal. In your case, it seems like a loss of volume under the brow and even the shape of the eye itself may be contributing to the aspects of your appearance you mention above. Discuss your options with someone very experienced in eyelid surgery.

Jeffrey M. Joseph, MD
Newport Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid surgery for puffiness and eye asymmetry in an Asian patient

Your eyes show differences in the set of the eye in the orbital rim, and some looseness of the lower eyelid skin.  There is puffiness in both upper eyelids as well.  Asia eyelid anatomy is slightly different from caucasian anatomy , so your prospective surgeon should be well familiar with those differences.
Conventional surgery can leave the eyes, particularly the lower eyes, hollow, so the plan should avoid procedures that can worsen hollowness.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Who Is A Good Candidate for Upper Eyelid Surgery?

Upper eyelid surgery is an effective and popular surgery that refreshes your appearance. There are certain aspects of your medical history that are relevant including previous laser eye surgery, dry eyes, ocular conditions such as glaucoma, and general health such as raised blood pressure. As long as you are healthy and have realistic expectations from the procedures, it is likely that upper blepharoplasty will beneifit you. From your photos and description, you will benefit from an upper eyelid surgery to remove excess skin and fat. I recommend consulting with a facial plastic surgeon that specializes in blepharoplasty and is experienced with Asian eyelid surgery.

Blepharoplasty

I have reviewed your photo's and feel you would benefit from a upper lid blepharoplasty to remove excess skin and fat pads. Your lids would be less heavy and your eyes will appear larger.

Fred Suess, MD

Upper eyelid surgery

Yes, you are a good candidate for upper eyelid surgery, that is done under local anesthesia.  The procedure should give you a more rested and alert appearance, but not change the beauty of the Asian eyelid.

Upper Eyelid surgery candidate

The goal of upper eyelid surgery is to remove hooded and excess skin on the upper lids along with a small amount of fatty deposits creating the puffiness look. The incision is located directly in the upper eyelid crease. For more information  And many examples, please see the link and the video below

Am I a good candidate for upper eye lid surgery?

Hello cathytakahashi - Thanks for your question.It does appear as if you would be a good candidate for upper eyelid (blepharoplasty) surgery.  I would recommend that you consult with an eyelid surgery specialist for more information.  Depending on the anatomy of your upper lid crease, there are several options for upper blepharoplasty in patients of Asian origin. Good luck, Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Upper eyelid surgery

You appear to be a good candidate for an upper eyelid blepharoplasty, but be sure to see a surgeon who has a great deal of experience with Asian eyelid blepharoplasties. The surgeon should be very attentive to your anatomy and creases, and to your goals for your appearance. Best wishes!

Sara A. Kaltreider, MD
Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon