Am I a good candidate for a mini tummy tuck? (photos)

Do you think a mini tummy tuck with liposuction on the flanks would give me good results or do you think I need a full tuck? I initially went in for a consult for coolsculpting but the PS thought I would benefit from a mini tuck. I am a mother of 3 and the stomach area is a mess...

Dr Derby

Thank you for your photos and the question. You are a great candidate for a full Tummy tuck an the liposuction in areas needed. Best of luck 

Tummy Tuck

Hi Valmin, Thank you for your pictures and questions. Based on your pictures it looks like you are an excellent candidate for a Full Tummy Tuck. Tummy-tuck surgery or Abdominoplasty can flatten your abdomen by removing loose, excess fat and skin and tightening muscles in the abdominal wall. It can also remove some if not all of the stretch marks in your lower abdomen. It is popular following pregnancy, massive weight loss or whenever a flabby abdomen with weak muscles impairs body contour. Most patients on average take two weeks off of work. Best regards

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Mini Tummy Tuck vs Full Tummy Tuck

Thank you for your question about mini tummy tuck.

The resolution of the images is low, so it is difficult to say based solely on pictures.  The fact that you are a mother of 3 means that it is more likely that you will need a full tummy tuck versus a mini tummy tuck.  If you have a mini tummy tuck, you may be disappointed.

To be sure what is right for you, see two or more experienced, board-certified Plastic Surgeons in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Mini Tummy Tuck - Am I A Candidate?

Thank you for your question. Based upon your photos, you appear to be an excellent candidate for a full tummy tuck. The lower abdominal protrusion is likely a result of your muscles separating. Skin excision and muscle tightening could give you an excellent contour as well as improve the tone of the anterior abdominal wall. Please see a board certified plastic surgeon for an in-person examination to discuss the specific details of the procedures. Ask to see before and after photos to get an idea of what can be achieved. Hope this helps!

Am I a good candidate for a mini tummy tuck?

From this pictures it seems like you may be able to get away with a mini tummy tuck. See a board certified plastic surgeon in your area with an expertise in body contouring and tummy tucks for more individualized information. In my practice in the San Francisco Bay Area I have come to the conclusion that the happiest patients are those that have realistic expectation on what a procedure will and won’t do for them. 

Dean Vistnes, M.D.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Francisco Bay Area

#realself #drdeanvistnes #minitummytuck #liposuction

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

How to know if a mini tummy tuck is right for you

A mini tummy tuck works well when there is some laxity of the skin in the lower abdomen, but it will have minimal if any effect in the upper abdomen. Localized fat reduction can be done wherever needed including the upper abdomen, and muscle repair as well. There are several variations on mini sand full tummy tucks to consider so there is no substitute for a consultation.

Richard Baxter, MD

Am I a good candidate for a mini tummy tuck

Skin-wise I think you are a candidate but that procedure but the problem is that it will not do much for your upper abdomen. Doing liposuction of the upper abdomen at the time of a mini tummy tuck might leave you with loose skin on the upper abdomen. So, although technically you are a candidate, skin wise, because o the fat and potential laxity of the upper abdomen, you may not be happy with a mini tummy tuck

Julio Garcia, MD

Thank you for the question and pictures. In my practice, I would offer you the full tummy tuck operation; any lesser operation would not end up with an outcome that you or I would be pleased with. Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.

In my opinion, the mini tummy tuck is an operation that produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For the vast majority of patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. When the time is right, seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients achieve the types of outcomes you would be pleased with. You may find the attached link, dedicated to tummy tuck surgery concerns, helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

Mini tummy tuck

Dear Valmin

Thank you for posting pictures with your question. It seems you don't have stretch marks, a distended belly or much laxity skin which places you as a great candidate for a mini tummy tuck.  This procedure will remove some skin skin from the lower abdomen and with some lipo on the upper abdomen and the sides we could improve your abdominal area and body shape. I have to recommend you a 360 degrees lipo with fat transfer to the buttock area for optimum results. Best wishes.

Kelvin Eusebio, MD

Although, you may benefit from a mini tummy tuck, from your photos and history of 3 pregnancies, I believe you would get a better result from a full tummy tuck with muscle tightening both above and below the belly button.  Liposuction over the upper mid abdomen and flank area will also improve your overall result.  Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon with extensive tummy tuck experience.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon