Is it possible to be allergic to Juviderm? Or can adverse side effects be from improper application

In 2013, I had a half a vial of Juviderm injected into my smile lines . By the time I left the appointment my face was burning from my cheeks to my earsand was extremely red. I was taking Benadryl for 2 days. Every few weeks, I had bumps develop on both smile lines, in perfect lines were the product was injected. It seemed to me that my face was "rejecting" the Juviderm. Was this an allergic reaction ? Was it placed too superficially and kept pushing out of my face? Am I not a filler candidate?

Juvederm and allergies

I think more information and a photograph will help. Allergic reactions to Juvederm, Restylane and other HA fillers are very rare, but have been reported. 

I usually work in with an Allergist if an adverse reaction to Juvederm/ fillers is suspected. Test spots on your arm can help. 

In context of the level at which filler was placed, yes, if it is too superficial, and if one is using the wrong product, it can be lumpy and 'show' through the skin. Seeing an experienced injector is important. 

All the best
Dr Davin Lim 
Laser and aesthetic dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia. 

Brisbane Dermatologist

Juvederm allergy

Although an allergy to Juvederm is very rare, it is possible. However, without assessing you in person and seeing your reaction first hand it is hard to determine if what you had was an allergic reaction. It would be best to return to your treating physician for an evaluation. You can get a test spot of Juvederm placed in your forearm to test for a reaction before you have the filler placed. I would also check with your previous injector to see if what was placed was actually Juvederm. 

Lenore Sikorski, MD
Orange County Dermatologist

Juvederm problems

It's hard to say exactly what is going on but this is not normal. Allergic reactions are extremely rare. Not having a photo makes it even more difficult to give to good answer. Make sure what you got it Juvederm directly from Allergan and not a knock off which could be anything. Poor injection technique can lead to seeing the filler under the skin. I would seek another opinion.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Juvederm and Possible Reaction

I would advise you to return to your treating physician for examination to see what if any reaction you are experiencing and how to best treat you.  Please keep us posted.  Best, Dr. Green

Juvederm Filler

It is very hard to answer such questions without access to your medical file or seeing the reaction in person.  You should seek the advice of a medical professional near you for an in-person examination.

The foregoing information provided is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, it is provided for educational purposes only.
You assume full responsibility for how you choose to use this information.
Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified healthcare provider before starting any new treatment or discontinuing an existing treatment. Talk with your healthcare provider about any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)