Can I get a full breast reduction then implants for a rounder, perkier bust?

The main reason I am getting the reduction is for neck and back pain, but I want a perkier, rounder bust as the result, and I think implants would be perfect for that. I am going from a DD to a C, and am heavily leaning towards implants and a breast lift rather than just the reduction

Breast Lift Candidate

A #mastopexy or breast lift operation is designed to improve the shape and position of the breast without reducing their size. It is used for breasts which sag or droop (ptosis). #Sagging of the breasts may occur with normal development for some women, or as part of the aging process. Pregnancy, breast-feeding and weight loss are other conditions which increase breast ptosis. Some patients will have a better shape to their breast such as increased superior fullness if an implant is used at the time of mastopexy. The procedure can also be combined with a minor breast reduction to reduce the breast width if desired. The surgery will create an elevated, more youthful breast contour. Also, the procedure will create nipple and #areolae of the desired size and at the correct height.

Breast reduction and lift

If you’re looking for a perkier bust, a breast lift alone might help you. Note that replacing what you have removed with implants won’t do much to reduce your neck and back pain. So, you’ll have to determine what is more important to you: alleviating the neck and back pain, or perkier/rounder breasts.

Reduction and then an implant for perkier shape

Thank you for the question.   It is not uncommon for patients seeking a breastlift to have tissue removed from the breast and have a small implant put in for upper pole fullness and a prettier shape.   Make an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your goals!    Best of luck

Ivor B. Kaplan, MD
Norfolk Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction

Putting an implant in after reducing a breast for symptoms does not make sense to me. the weight of the implants might put undue stress on the already symptomatic regions.

Implants with reduction

If a patient wants to maintain a larger cup size along with having "perkier" breasts, I will put an implant in. It is best to consult with an experienced plastic surgeon, but your expectations are not unrealistic at all, it can be very easily done.

Hope you find this helpful!

R. Scott Yarish, MD

Reduction then augmentation?

Thanks for your question.

Interestingly you are on the right track. Natural breasts want to go south over time. Implants tend to defy gravity more  and have the upper pole fullness that many are looking for. Less natural tissue, more implant tends to be "more perky". Be cautious though, Lift with implants , let alone lift with implants and reduction is a highly variable operation. For the large and heavy breasted patient it is often safest to proceed with reduction first followed later by implants.

I wrote a blog about this a few years ago. the link is below. Hope it helps.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction candidate

Far more important than the technique is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let them explain why one technique may be better than another.
See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for a breast reduction. 

Also known as reduction mammoplasty, this is an operation intended to reduce the size of a woman’s breasts and improve their shape and position. Frequently, the areola (dark skin around the nipple) is also made smaller. Functional symptoms (medical disorders) caused by excessive breast weight may be relieved or improved by this operation.
Women who have large, heavy breasts, which may be the cause of movement difficulties, back, shoulder and neck pain, poor posture, bra-strap indentations and chafing under the breasts will benefit from reduction.
Women with excessive breast size, which may decrease a sense of attractiveness and self-confidence, are candidates.
Large breasts that interfere with normal daily activities or with exercise will be more comfortable when reduced.

It is difficult to give you good advice based on your description only but many patients benefit from breast reduction/lifting surgery when it comes to treating symptoms such as "neck and back pain". The second stage procedure (breast augmentation) would then be necessary to achieve the "perkier, rounder look" you describe. Doing the procedures in a single stage may or may not be possible;  the single stage procedure would certainly be associated with greater risk of complications and/or patient dissatisfaction with aesthetic outcome. I hope this, the attached link, helps. Best wishes.

Will breast reduction and Implants give me a rounder breast

Thank you for your question.  There are patients who benefit from a breast lift and/or a small reduction combined with a breast implant.  Generally these are patients who have more sagging of their breasts and desire significant cleavage in the upper chest wall.   Many of these patients have lost volume and tone in their breasts after having children.   So yes, the combination surgery can provide a rounder, looking breast.  You will need to consult a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in breast reduction, lift and augmentation surgery in order to get a definite surgical plan. 

Carlin Vickery, MD

Thank you for your question.  If you need a breast reduction to improve your neck and back pain, then getting implants (augmentation) to add volume would be counteracting that.  With a breast reduction, you're able to tighten and lift the breast, creating a perkier and rounder appearance.  Be sure to consult with an experienced plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS