Is fraxel restore safe long-term on facial scars? (Photo)

I have an indented scar above my upper lip from a puncture wound last year. I received my first Fraxel Restore laser treatment from Skin Care Physicians in MA. I was told to come back once a month for 4-6 Fraxel treatments. I've since read horror stories on the web about the long-term damage of Fraxel, and have seen no positive stories other than on the Fraxel website. Does Fraxel Restore help plump up/resurface indented scars? Is it safe overall? Are other lasers better? Microneedling? Fillers?

Fraxel Restore and Facial Scars

Fraxel is a great laser for wrinkles, and hyperpigmentation, and scars.  I agree with your treating physician.  You may also need some additional hyaluronic acid filler to plump up the scar that is being lasered.  I usually use a combination of Fraxel laser and fillers for the best cosmetic results.  Fraxel is the gold standard for your type of scar and skin type.  Please let me know how your results progress.

Fraxel restore for scars

Fraxel restore is an excellent choice for scars, and in the right hands, it is a very safe laser that can improve the texture and contour of an indented scar. After a series of Fraxel treatments, depending on the outcome, filler may help smooth out the final results.  There is no eraser for scars, but Skin Care Physicians is a world renown laser practice with top notch physicians and staff. They have an excellent reputation within the laser world for safety and results.

Ramona Behshad, MD
Saint Louis Dermatologic Surgeon