Fraxel re:store or Dermapen?

I am a 31 female with minor acne scarring, discoloration and enlarged pores on olive skin. Trying to decide between three Fraxel re:store sessions or three Dermapen procedures. Any help is appreciated!

Fraxel Restore is my choice

I agree with Dr Kaplan that Fraxel is the choice here. There is more safety and reliability with the Fraxel treatment. It is a great non-invasive treatment.

San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Fraxel or Dermapen

Fraxel re:store DUAL is the better choice.  A Dermapen does not have settings to customize your treatment.  The Fraxel re:store DUAL does not cut the skin.  The social downtime is lower as well.

Dermapen vs. Fraxel

Hi Donna.  We're not big believers in the Derma pen.  There is a lot of trauma, but not the right kind of trauma.  The concept behind laser treatments for the skin (like Fraxel) is that there is a thermal injury created and the ablation (removal of tissue) causes the skin to generate a healing response.  This in turn can remodel scar tissue and replace it with new soft collagen.  

In our opinion, the same cannot be said for the derma pen.  This simply pokes holds in the skin.  It does not destroy scar tissue, rather it can create more.  

We would choose a fractional laser resurfacing procedure and we happen to prefer the Sciton Profractional to Fraxel, but they are similar technologies.  See below for pictures of our acne scar patients treated with our resurfacing procedures.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Fraxel vs. DermaPen

When comparing just about anything, it's hard making accurate generalizations about two different devices.  We offer both services in our practice, and if I had to give up one it would be the DermaPen.

William Numa, MD, FACS
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fraxel Is the number one choice

Fraxel would be a better choice over the derma pen.  Fraxel is the superior mode to address these issues and has the ability to customize your treatment based on skin type and texture.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist for the best cosmetic results.

Treatment for Olive Skin

If the choice is between Fraxel Re:store and Dermapen, the Fraxel treatments would yield the best results. In my office I have Fraxel Re:store and a Dermapen, but for Olive toned patients I prefer to use Ematrix. The Ematrix system uses Sublative RF- fractioned bi-polar radio frequency technology to effectively place heat energy into the dermis. This causes deep dermal impact with minimal down time. The reason I choose the Ematrix is because the RF technology is safe and effective for all skin types. Though I have done Fraxel treatments on Olive skin, it does have the possibility for hyperpigmentation unlike the Ematrix. The Ematrix treatments can improve all of your concerns with a series of treatments. It is best to consult with a Board Certified Dermatologist to see if this treatment is best for you and how many sessions you will need.

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon