How Will Fraxel Affect Fat Lump Under my Eye?

1 yea ago I had a fat graft to my upper cheek/cheekbone area and this created a firm lump in the tear through under one eye. The lump is 1 cm long and thin. Apart from this, the elevation of my cheekbone area has created wrinkles under my eyes - the skin has become a lot looser here after the procedure and this has created wrinkles even whenI dont smile. Will fraxel/fractional laser possibly dissolve the lump and can it tighten the skin under my eyes?

Doctor Answers 3

Fraxel laser will not shrink a fat lump from fat injections

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Fraxel Restore and Fraxel Repair will not cause fat atrophy or thinning. They are great lasers for dermal collagen remodeling, and can help superficial lines, pigment and scarring.  The subcutaneous tissue is too deep and the Fraxel will not target the fat tissue preferentially.

Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 39 reviews

Fraxel won't effect fat lump

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Greetings Mathilda~

Fraxel is great for treating pigment irregularities and improving texture but you won't get any fat selected areas or otherwise.  Fine lines and crows feet may improve as well as other lines around the eyes and possibly some very minimal tightening.  I would agree with Dr. Barach about seeing a board certified plastic surgeon that also offers laser treatments...then you could explore and figure out your best options for treatment that would give you the closest thing to your ideal result.

Good luck~


Dr. Grant Stevens    

Grant Stevens, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 152 reviews

Fraxel might help, but can't be certain

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

if the cause is scarring in the skin fraxel might improve it....if the lump is  fat under the skin then it probably won't  .

you are not likely to get any tightening of the skin. excising the area may be a reasonable option to consider. suggest you see a board certified plastic surgeon that can offer nonsurgical options like fraxel, as well as surgical options. after examing you the choices can be discussed and the best course of action  chosen.

Bruce K. Barach, MD
Schenectady Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 13 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.