Would it be safe for a 71 yeR old female to have a tummy tuck?

Tummy tuck

I believe that your physical age is much more important than your chronological age meaning that if you are in good shape medically then you should do fine with a tummy tuck. Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon for further answers.

Would it be safe for a 71-year-old.............

age is no bar to surgery per se. If you are fit and healthy then there is no specific contrast indication to surgery. Clotting issues do increase with age but this is something you can discuss with your surgeon.

Patrick Briggs, FRCSI(Plast Surg)
Perth Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and age

I have many patients your age that have had abdominoplasty. But the key is good health.  If a patient is active, healthy with no major medical problems, then a tummy tuck can be a good option.

Good luck!

Tummy Tuck at Age 71

As long as you are in good health, there is no reason you can not have a tummy tuck surgery regardless of your age. The extent of the tummy tuck may change a little so that your recovery may be quicker. (e.g., no muscle plication)

Tummy Tuck

It is my pleasure to answer your question. As long as the patient is in good health conditions there is no problem with having a Tummy Tuck surgery.

Aramis Vega, MD

Safety of Surgery in Older Patients

Age is not a contraindication to surgery. The only thing that would do that is a medical problem. A recent study showed that the only things that make any difference in healing, no matter the age of the patient, are things like diabetes, obesity and other medical problems.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Would it be safe for a 71 year old female to have a tummy tuck?

Your age alone is  not a contraindication to having a tummy tuck. There are a number of factors that are more important: Your general health, individual anatomy, realistic expectations, and a full understanding of the benefits as well as the potential problems that can occur with the procedure.

I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person. If you decide to undergo the procedure, I would suggest a medical clearance from your primary physician before proceeding with a tummy tuck.

Robert Singer, MD  FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

71yr old, tummy tuck

Thanks for your question.  In my practice there is no strict age cutoff for tummy tuck surgery or other operations, but rather the person's overall health is the key factor.  

Age and Tumy tuck

Plastic surgery, including tummy tucks, can be safe at any age as long as your overall health is good.  You should make sure your primary care physician knows that you are considering surgery and agrees that you are healthy enough to proceed.  Best of luck should you pursue surgery!

Jeffrey A. Sweat, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck in a 71 year old

Thank you for your question. So as long as you are healthy and get medical clearance from your PMD, a lateral tension abdominoplasty tummy tuck tell would pose little risk and is safe to perform. I have operated on healthy and now happier patients who were older than you at the time of their operation. 

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS