I'm a 59 yr old healthy male. What treatment would you recommend to remove jowls and neck looseness?

I'm a 59 yr old healthy male, non smoker.4 to 6 times a week at the gym.runner. Would like to get rid of jowls and necks looseness.what is the most minimally recommended surgery for this problem.thanks

A face lift/neck lift is your best option to correct jowls and neck looseness.

Photos would be a minimum and an in person consultation the optimum to evaluate what would be best in you specific case.  Having said that, patients with jowls and loose neck skin will benefit from lifting and tightening the deeper tissues and muscle in the neck and then smoothing the skin over this newly contoured tissue.  Minimally invasive procedures like a mini-lift, can give improvement if applied to the correct patients but if the extent of lax tissues is greater than a more extensive procedure needs to be done to get maximal effect.  Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon.

What would you recommend to remove jowls and neck looseness?

You may benefit from a face and neck lift. You should have your face evaluated by a board certified surgeon with expertise in these procedures.

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eliminating Jowls and Loose Neck Skin

Some sort of a facelift or neck lift will be necessary depending on the severity of your normal aging and your personal goals. Pictures would help so alternatives can be described; a healthy individual like yourself has multiple choices which will be considered depending on your expectations.

Surgery for neck and jowls

You need a lower facelift.  The incision is around your ears and in a male the surgery takes about 5 hours.  You should get a great result.  Mini procedures result in mini change and mini happiness so be cautious.  Go get a facelift.  You are a great candidate.  My Best,  Dr C

Jowls and neck laxity

A face with neck lift is the best procedure for both men and women at age 59 with jowling and neck laxity.  Most of the non-invasive procedures such as Ulthera, don't work well in men who have heavier skin, or at this age.  Most men will bruise due to the high vascularity of the neck because of the beard.  And many men will notice some relaxation in the pull after about 6 months due to the heavier skin. 

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

There are a variety of procedures that can address skin laxity depending on individual anatomy and desired outcome: A necklift, mini-facelift, a lower facelift, a face and neck lift.

A necklift only addresses the neck skin laxity. It will not improve the jowls or cheeks.

A minilift also varies significantly in what it entails, depending on the surgeon performing it. It usually performed in patients with minimal laxity and would not significantly improve the neck. The terms facelift and lower facelift mean different things to different patients and vary in their extent from surgeon to surgeon. A facelift or a lower facelift which would include the neck area would have the potential to produce the best cosmetic result of the neck, central cheek and jowl area.

It is important to realize that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do without seeing photos and without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Facial rejuvenation needs to be individualized. What would be an ideal approach for one patient is not necessarily the same for someone else. Based on the examination and discussion at the consultation, you should have a better understanding of the various options that can achieve the best cosmetic result for you.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Male Facelift

Most men your age benefit from a lower face and neck lift to improve the jowls and neck laxity. In men, I don't try to pull the cheeks up as much as I do in women. This gives men a younger look without changing the shape of the face. Obviously, the exact procedure and amount of tightening can only be determined by seeing you in consultation and assessing your anatomy.

Without photos, it is impossible to say. It would be common in your age group to do a face/neck lift. Whether it is "sold" to you as "minimally invasive", "minimal incision" or something else, your recovery and restrictions would not be meaningfully different between them in my experience. Whether or not something less might be appropriate would require good photos at a minimum.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Treatments for jowls and neck loossness

A neck lift would give the best results. By the age 59 the skin has lost elasticity and skin removal would get rid of the looseness.

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD

A 59-year-old male probably would require a full facelift for treatment of the jowls in the neck.

A well executed facelift should yield a predictably good result in a male patient for the jowls in the neck. I don't think a shortcut is in your best interest.