Is there a type of facelift that I could have? (Photo)

I'm 31 and my face is sagging. When I pull my face upward a little it looks significantly better. Fillers are so temporary and I'd rather have a procedure that would last. Is there a type of facelift that would lift or tighten my skin?

Are You a Candidate for a Facelift

A person’s age is best guessed by the appearance of their face. If you feel that your face does not reflect how young you feel inside, you may be a candidate for a facelift.
During your #consultation,  your skin texture and elasticity, as well as your underlying skin structure and your facial bone structure will be evaluated. Based on this evaluation, your board certified plastic surgeons will create a custom surgical plan, detailing specific techniques and recommendations to meet your goals. In doing so, he or she should be sure to have a full understanding of what results you expect.
If you are not a #candidate, your surgeon can make other suggestions to address your concerns and objectives.

Mini facelift

There are many options for someone that is young with good skin quality.  Most people in their 30s will stick with fillers and noninvasive tightening devices like Ultherapy.  Is not unusual go for someone with early sagging to have a mini facelift.  This results in a short incision around the ears that works at tightening the lower face and neck.  Recovery usually takes about of week and it's possible to do it under local anesthesia with some mild sedation in the office.  It's important to find a board-certified plastic surgeon experienced and able to offer you all the options.  This way you could ensure that you will get the best advice for your specific goals.

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Face

I would recommend fat grafting around your eyes, cheeks, nasolabialf olds and lips.  You could wait another decade before doing a facelift. 

Facelift when young

You have lots of youthful features to your face.  I would advise against any form of surgery.

Best wishes

Alastair J. Platt, FRCS (plast)
Hull Plastic Surgeon

Early facelift

I can understand your concern about loss of midface volume, even at a young age.  Nevertheless, I believe that filler is a first step at this point. It will also give you an opportunity to determine precisely what outcome you prefer to create a natural appearance. When filler is performed on someone in your age group, I find that it can last longer than in the older population.  Best wishes.

Facelift

I have found that the best option for the problem you are having is using Voluma in your cheeks to lift up the skin of your face. You have already lost a lot of volume in your face, so this would restore the youthful appearance you are looking for.

A more permanent option would be to place silicone implants into your cheeks through an incision in your mouth.

I don't think that a facelift alone will give you the results you are looking for especially at your age. You do not have extra sagging skin, only loss of volume in your face which needs to be replaced.

Sarah Saxon, MD

Sarah Saxon, MD
Dallas Otolaryngologist

Facelift - Sagging face in a young person

Rarely, is a facelift indicated at the age of 31.   I have done facelifts for patients with massive weight loss at this age but it does not seem to be the case for you.   You would be much better off with adding some volume in the right places with fillers or fat grafting.   Non-surgical skin/muscle tightening with modalities like Ulthera might  be appropriate. Finally there is absorbable non-surgical thread lifts that can give you a little lift without having surgery.    The best thing to do would be to have an in person consultation with a facial specialist.

James C. Marotta, MD
Long Island Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mini lift

You would need a personal consultation to determine your needs.  You are describing what might be seen with a mini lift.  You are lacking some volume as well so you might consider some type of volume restoration as well.

Brian K. Machida, MD, FACS
Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift in the Young

There are many techniques for facelifting. Most are either a form of SMAS Lift or "mini-lift." The former has a pull that is more backward and requires a significant scar behind the ear. Most of the latter put most of the pull on the skin which can lead to bad scars that are visible. The technique that works best in someone like you is a variation of the MACS Lift. Only the skin (as opposed to skin and SMAS) is undermined, all the pull is up, replacing the tissues to their natural position and there is, in someone like you, no scar behind the ear. (See TodaysFacelift.com.) The other option would be fat grafting to fill the face and is, when done properly, permanent.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Hello and thank you for your question,

There many different types of face lifts. These procedures would help in the removal of excess skin and tightening of the face. Sometimes some patients require other procedures that go hand in hand with facelifts such as blepharoplasty which is eye surgery, it helps to tighten skin around the eye. Make sure to consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, I also recommend to have three different consultations with three different Board Certified Plastic Surgeons. Good luck in your future ventures of cosmetic surgery and have a great day.

Sam Speron, MD