Is there a type of facelift that I could have? (Photo)

I'm 31 and my face is sagging. When I pull my face upward a little it looks significantly better. Fillers are so temporary and I'd rather have a procedure that would last. Is there a type of facelift that would lift or tighten my skin?

Facial options

Thanks for your question!  You are very young to be considering a facelift.  I know that fillers are temporary, but I think that would be the best route for you at this point. Voluma, which would fill in the tear trough area, will give a slight lift and lasts 2 years.  Volbella, another hyaluronic acid that is relatively new to the market, lasts for a year.  So, there are longer lasting options that will help make you look younger.  Good luck!

Reading Plastic Surgeon

Malar hypoplasia (flat cheek)

Your problem is entirely related to volume. If you restore volume in your cheek, you will correct the sagging that you don't like. While it is true that the hyaluronic acid fillers are temporary, there are other filler that are not. You should investigate sculptural, bellafil and possibly fat grafting. It is far too early for you to jump into surgical correction. You do not need that!!

Beth Collins, MD
New Haven General Surgeon

Mini-Facelift

If you do not wish to have volume replacement then the best alternative would be a minimal incision facelift.  This is done primarily to correct cheek laxity but also improves the area of the neck immediately below the chin

S. Randolph Waldman, MD
Lexington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift options........

Thank you for your question, of course a good decision is made with an in person consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  From your photos and expressed concerns, I can throw out some potentially useful ideas.  Consistent with your age and photograph, I feel any type of facelift would be disappointing.  As the appearance of sag seems to be much more related due to lack of lower face projection and the chin seems quite small and  narrow.  This will lead to the appearance of sag with even normal tissue above it.  The hollowing beneath your eyes is also a type of lack of projection and it to plays a role in the appearance of the cheek soft tissue sagging.  

Give serious consideration to the methods that will likely be much more successful in the long term and surely more appropriate.  They would be fat grafting along the orbital rims, and either fat grafting along with a chin implant. Again the final decision could only be made in person and based also on many other views than just the one provided.  I hope you find information helpful.  

Thomas Hubbard, MD, FACS
Virginia Beach Plastic Surgeon

Filler not facelift

You do not appear to have any significant sagging so a facelift isn't really necessary at this point. However, you are experiencing a bit of volume loss. I would suggest that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area with a lot of filler experience. Many of them last 2 years or more so this is a good solution for you at this point in your life.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Facelift

facelift technique results in a younger and natural, but not "done," look. The surgery is done in a deeper plane which results in a full-thickness skin and subcutaneous tissue flap, which is redraped and elevated vertically over a repositioned SMAS layer. This avoids the "windswept" effect of pulling back too severely only the top layers of soft tissue.

Michael J. Yaremchuk, MD

Facial rejuvenation...

A facelift is not for tightening skin. It is simply for lifting tissue that are sagging. Your jawline does not really appear to be sagging so a lift won't help you. There are not many options for tightening skin, but Ultherapy is a non invasive treatment that gives you the best chance of tightening skin. Your main problem is volume loss which can be improved with fat transfer. Fat transfer can give a long term result and looks very natural so go on some consultations to discuss those possibilities.

Andrew Miller, MD
Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Are You a Candidate for a Facelift

A person’s age is best guessed by the appearance of their face. If you feel that your face does not reflect how young you feel inside, you may be a candidate for a facelift.
During your #consultation,  your skin texture and elasticity, as well as your underlying skin structure and your facial bone structure will be evaluated. Based on this evaluation, your board certified plastic surgeons will create a custom surgical plan, detailing specific techniques and recommendations to meet your goals. In doing so, he or she should be sure to have a full understanding of what results you expect.
If you are not a #candidate, your surgeon can make other suggestions to address your concerns and objectives.

Mini facelift

There are many options for someone that is young with good skin quality.  Most people in their 30s will stick with fillers and noninvasive tightening devices like Ultherapy.  Is not unusual go for someone with early sagging to have a mini facelift.  This results in a short incision around the ears that works at tightening the lower face and neck.  Recovery usually takes about of week and it's possible to do it under local anesthesia with some mild sedation in the office.  It's important to find a board-certified plastic surgeon experienced and able to offer you all the options.  This way you could ensure that you will get the best advice for your specific goals.

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Face

I would recommend fat grafting around your eyes, cheeks, nasolabialf olds and lips.  You could wait another decade before doing a facelift. 

John Michael Thomassen, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon