How can I get rid of the scars from surgery on the back of my head? It really bothers me a lot (Photo)

Doctor Answers 4

Fractional lasers and FUE for hair transplant scars

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Start with IIT and fractional laser therapy followed by FUE to help reduce the visibility of your scars on the scalp. 


Dr. Karamanoukian

Los Angeles

Scar revision for scalp scar.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Your best option based on my 35 years of scalp surgery is scar revision. The scar can be closed with no tension and the resultant scar should be a fine line unless your body makes more scar than normal. See a very experienced scalp surgeon for this. 

Toby Mayer, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 36 reviews

How can I get rid of the scars from surgery on the back of my head? It really bothers me a lot

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear of your scalp scar.  If the scar is wide the best option would be to seek a scar revision procedure whereby tension along the incision can be minimized in order to better camouflage it's appearance and allow for hair growth over it.  If the scar is narrow your best option is using hair transplant techniques with Neograft to place hair follicles in and around the scar to improve its appearance.  

Scar Revision

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Your scar can be improved with a scar revision that take into account maintaining the follicles below the scar to allow hair to grow through the scar to hide the scar. Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon that has an emphasis in Hair to accomplish this improvement. Best wishes. 

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.