I am having pain still after 4 1/2 weeks out breast augmentation and tightness? (Photo)

I had a breast augmentation on August 31, 2016. I am experiencing pain still on the side of my boobs when I raise my arms up to drive or to reach for something. I still have tightness when I lay down or bend over I have tried icing and taking muscle relaxers but I pain comes back. I still have tenderness on the side of my breast or it feels numb my breast are not as hard as they were I am getting better but this is bothering me.... just trying to make sure I didn't pull a muscle or cause any damage.

1 Months Post Op

Thank you for your question and photo. If you feel that things are gradually improving and softening that is good. Unfortunately, some people experience discomfort a bit longer than others but if your breasts do not look or feel suddenly different then you are likely healing well. It doesn't hurt to ask your Plastic Surgeon to examine you and ensure you are on track..

All the best

Breast pain and tightness 4 weeks after Breast Augmentation

The discomfort you are describing is quite common at 4 weeks after a Breast Augmentation. The numbness and pain that is present on the sides of your breast relates to the nerves that are found there which can be stretched over the implant and become irritated. Your muscles are also still recovering from the trauma of the surgery, and will intermittently swell causing stiffness and discomfort. The good news is related to your statement that your breasts are getting softer. That is a great sign that you are moving toward complete recovery. I tell my patients that we do not consider them "healed" for 6 weeks, and even after that there will be continued improvement over the first several months. I would ask you to be patient and continue with ice and anti-inflammatory medications. Please follow-up with your Plastic Surgeon if you have more concerns.

Douglas Leppink, MD
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

4 1/2 weeks post breast augmentation pain

Thank you for your question.  Tightness and some sensations of tingling and pain are quite normal at this stage of your recovery.  Best to follow up with your plastic surgeon.  I wish you good luck. 

I am having pain still after 4 1/2 weeks out breast augmentation and tightness?

The combination of pain and tightness following breast augmentation can indicate a capsular contracture.  However you are still early in your recovery and capsular contracture usually occurs at a much later date.  Your discomfort may simply be a result of the size of her implants.  See her plastic surgeon and ask if you may start breast implant displacement exercises which can help.

Pain still after 4 1/2 weeks out breast augmentation.

Pain and discomfort and tightness can be different for everyone after breast augmentation depending on many things. If your breast is softening that is a good sign and chances are healing will take a bit longer for you. To be sure though let your surgeon have a look.

Tightness and pain

Thank you for your question.  It's always best to discuss your concerns with your operating surgeon.  They know you and what was done the better than anyone.  It can take many weeks or even months for your the tissue over the implants to stretch out.  Take comfort in knowing that it will get better over time.  Ice and over the counter medications may be of benefit for temporary relief.  Best of luck.  

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your question and photograph.

I would recommend that you contact your surgeon and have him/her exam the area just to rule out any complications but you are still early on in your recovery and throughout your recovery period you may experience different sensations such as tingling, burning or intermittent shooting pain.  These are normal experiences as the skin, muscles and tissue stretch to accommodate your implants, and as sensory nerves heal. Best of luck in your recovery!
James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Pain over four weeks post BA

What you are experiencing is in the normal range for patients.  The discomfort should subside with time.  Follow-up with your surgeon regarding any medication recommendations to help.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon