I'm interested in a butt lift - Can you tell me a little about the procedure and about how much it cost?

Butt lift surgery basic

Butt lift surgery removes the excess skin and lifts the sagging derriere.  A good number of patients asking for this procedure have experienced weight loss that resulted in soft tissue laxity and redundant skin.  

It typically uses an incision on top of the buttocks, although another option is to place the scars within the gluteal crease, which is the fold between the posterior thigh and lower aspect of the butt cheek.

Take note that as a stand-alone procedure butt lift cannot add more volume, thereby some patients choose to have silicone implants or fat transfer (Brazilian butt lift) as well.

In terms of the cost of butt lift, it greatly varies from patient to patient and doctor to doctor.  However, most can expect paying between $5,000 and $12,000.

I hope that helps and good luck.

Butt Lift

Hello. Thank you for your question. A gluteoplasty (butt lift) is a body contouring procedure which addresses excess and sagging skin on and below the buttocks. During a surgical butt lift, this excess skin is removed and the remaining skin is pulled up for a tighter look.  However, another option is the Brazilian butt lift. During the Brazilian method, the doctor does not “lift” the butt, but rather, fills it with volume via a fat transfer.  The average cost for a butt lift can range between $6,000 and $9,000.  We wish you the best of luck!

Dr. Fernau and his staff

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Many surgeons, including myself, offer online virtual consultations where you send us your photos and we can estimate the cost. I, like many surgeons, also offer free consultations so that you can be examined and given the most accurate quote possible. Please be mindful that the in person physical exam is the most important and could potentially alter your treatment plan.

Brazilian Butt Lift/ Fat Grafting/ Fat Transfer/ High Definition Liposuction

I appreciate your question.

I have done many Brazilian Butt lift procedures and specialize in body contouring.   The popular ‘Brazilian Butt Lift’ procedure is utilizes fat grafting to augment the curves of the gluteal region and accentuate the contour from lower back to buttocks. It is an excellent method for augmenting and lifting the buttocks and provides a beautiful, natural result. The procedure is performed by harvesting fat from unwanted areas of the body with liposuction and injecting it into buttocks. For individuals desiring a BBL but do not have enough fat available to be harvested, gluteal implants may be an excellent option for augmenting and enhancing the contour of the buttocks.

Cost varies by geographic location, surgeon expertise, OR time, anesthesia, length of procedure etc. I would recommend that you go to The American Society of Plastic Surgery website and look for a list of board certified plastic surgeons in your area. You can call their offices in advance and ask for quotes prior to scheduling consultations.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute

Butt lift or "Brazilian Butt Lift"?

A true buttock lift involves lifting the buttock from above and creating a full length (gull-wing shaped) scar at the junction between the low back and top of the buttock. On the other hand, a Brazilian Butt Lift involves augmenting the buttock by transfering liposuction fat from several parts of the body to the buttock. Please read on for the true details about buttock augmentation:

In short, a combination of sculpting your waistline with liposuction and augmenting your buttock with implants provides the best chance for a long lasting "hour-glass" figure. Please read on for more surgical details:
Regarding buttock/hip augmentation surgery, let me start off by saying that I currently see at least 2 - 3 patients, domestic and international, per week that failed "brazilian buttock lift" (i.e. the fat melted away after 10 - 12+ months) and are now seeking a more reliable and permanent option (i.e. buttock and/or hip implants).
Allow me to share with you some information that you may not hear elsewhere. There are only two proven safe and relatively effective methods for Buttock Augmentation and Hip Augmentation: 1) Autologous Fat Transfer (using your own fat, transferring from one area of the body to the other) and 2) Buttock/Hip Implants (semi-solid silicone rubber implants that cannot rupture &/or leak). Both are options but what it comes down to, like any surgery, is proper patient selection and long-term results.
Indeed because at least 80+ % of the fat transferred will melt away within a year, most patients are not good candidates because they lack an adequate amount of fat to harvest. Another tip is that if you purposely gain weight (i.e. fat) for the procedure, the fat you lose first as you get back to your baseline weight is that very same fat that was transferred into your buttock...so don't fall victim to this recommendation. Even those patients that had adequate amounts of fat pre-operatively, still end up seeking buttock implants after a year or so because most of the fat transferred melted away leaving them with minimal result.
Although overall using your own fat is relatively safe, it not infrequently melts away unevenly leaving one butt cheek bigger than the other or with dimpling or hard fat cysts. The one serious complication that can rarely (< 1%) happen is "fat embolism" in which some of the fat gets into the blood stream and travels up into the lungs, heart, and/or brain causing serious problems. This complication is more likely to happen with the larger amount of fat being transferred. This is even more likely to happen when using fillers like liquid silicone, PMMA, Sculptra, and hyaluronic acids. Also fillers, when injected in large quantities, have a relatively high infection rate, guaranteed tendency to migrate away from the original area they were injected, and almost always stimulate a lot of inflammation with a subsequent and disastrous amount of scar tissue/hardening.
Thus buttock/hip implants become a very good, safe, and long term reliable option for most patients seeking buttock/hip augmentation (at least in my practice). I prefer to insert the buttock implants through a 1 1/2 inch long incision along the inner curve of each upper buttock cheek at the level of the tailbone, similar to two opposing parentheses ")(" (concealed within the crevice between the buttock cheeks) and the hip implants through a ~ 1 inch incision just below the beltline above the hip region. The buttock implant should always be placed under or within the gluteus maximus muscle. In this position, the implant is less palpable, less visible, and does not sag or shift/migrate over time unlike implants placed on top of the muscle. On the other hand, hip implants are placed under just the fascia because no significant muscle exists in this region. However, because they are much smaller and lighter, their likelihood of migration is relatively low. Because all of this, it is extremely important to seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in this procedure so that the implant placement is precise for both locations. And in this case too, at least in my surgical practice, the infection rate is minimized to

Ryan Stanton, MD