One week postop labiaplasty! Does it look normal? (Photo)

I had labiaplasty one week ago and took a picture of it for the first time and it looks terrible, does this look normal? Thank you

Does it look normal?

Thank you for sharing.  It does appear that there may be a wound separation but hard to tell with he pics and the amount of swelling present.  I would follow all post op instructions and immediately make your surgeon aware of the situation.

Best of luck

Does it look normal?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Best of luck

One week postop labiaplasty! Does it look normal?

Two of the most common complications after labiaplasty include swelling and incisional separation and it appears you are experiencing both. Swelling after surgery is common, but in excess, can impair the healing process.  In regards to what appears as incisional separation on your photo, these areas will typically heal with local wound care and tend to be fairly superficial in most situations. I would recommend following up with your surgeon to assess the degree of swelling and determine if there are any options available to you to reduce the edema present. Local wound care instructions should be provided to you at that time as well. Your surgeon will also determine if there is any need for antibiotic therapy when you follow up. It is important to remember, any questions or concerns you have post labiaplasty, should be addressed by your surgeon to ensure proper wound healing and to ensure the best outcome possible.

Does this look normal

Hello and thank you for posting photos along with your question. Although you have posted photos. It is difficult to see exactly what is going on. I would tend to agree with my fellow colleagues who are saying maybe your incision line opened up. You also appear to have a significant amount of swelling that is making it harder to assess what is going on without being able to evaluate you in person. I would definitely contact your surgeon ASAP and schedule an appointment to be seen and evaluated. Hope this helps and hope you are able to get an appointment to see your surgeon soon!

Ankur Mehta MD

Does this look normal

Ankur Mehta MD

Labiaplasty

From your photos it looks like you may have a seperation of your incision line.

I would contact your surgeon to follow up with them.

Labiaplasty

One week after labiaplasty

I would contact your doctor today . That's always the best as photos are difficult to evaluate . You may have had a wedge labiaplasty and one side could have a separation. It will heal but you're best calling your doctor soon.  Best wishes 

One week after labiaplasty

Is this normal one week after labiaplasty?

Dear Sa877,

Thank you for writing in with your question and sharing your photo.  I agree with Dr. Miklos in that it looks like you have had a separation of the wedge on the left labia.  There is a significant amount of swelling but one can see the upper and lower parts of the labia that should be connected together.  It will be a few weeks before your swelling goes down but you can use cool packs, over-the-counter numbing spray (like Dermaplast for after childbirth), Sitz baths twice a day, arnica montana, ibuprofen, and get a perineal squirt bottle to use every time you urinate to help reduce the burning from the urine on the suture lines.  It will take 3-6 months for things to heal completely and then you can be re-evaluated for a revision if you desire.

Please do your homework to research surgeons (cosmetic-plastic gyn, uro-gynecologist, plastic surgeon) with extensive labiaplasty experience and who offer more than one technique.  It is likely you will require an edge revision on the left (it is hard to see what is happening on the right side in these photos).  Most gynecologists do not have the training to perform labiaplasty and many plastic surgeons do not know more than one technique.  Ask questions about their knowledge, see lots of before and after pictures and ask how they address post-op complications when they occur.  Get more than one opinion if you are not comfortable.

I hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

Troy R. Hailparn, MD, FACOG

Cosmetic Gynecology Center of San Antonio

Dear Sa877,

I hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

Troy R. Hailparn, MD, FACOG

1 week post op

Thanks for sharing.  My initial response would be wait 6 weeks for the edema to resolve however upon closer inspection it appears (and I might be wrong because photos are not a great substitute for an actual exam) that you have had a wedge resection and you have had a complete breakdown of YOUR LEFT labia (right side of the photo).  You really need to wait at least 12 weeks before you consider a revision surgery.  Please choose a surgeon with experience, expertise, a great reputation performing revision or botched labiaplasty surgery.  If a surgeon doesn't have a section on his website dedicated to revision / repair of botch labiaplasty there is a strong possibility  he/she doesn't have any real experience repairing the previous surgery.  Be extremely careful in choosing a surgeon as your next surgery will be your best chance of achieving a normal appearing labia.

John  R Miklos MD 

Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai

1 week post op

John  R Miklos MD 

Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  Due to the thin tissues of the labia minora and clitoral hood they are prone to significant swelling after surgery. This is masking your long-term results and you need to allow at least 6-8 weeks time for the swelling to resolve before knowing what your long-term outcome will be.   Hang in there!