Do I need a vaginal tightening?

I'm 50 years old and everytime I sneeze I pee and I just notice only lately after my 50th birthday. Is that about that I have a loose vagina coz of aging or about my bladder. Thank you very much

Doctor Answers 6

Stress Urine INcontinence

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Dear Secronin:

Thanks for sharing.  Vaginal tightening will not fix your urine leakage and the data is still out of using laser and radio frequency like ThermiVa to fix stress urine leakage aka cough leakage. Now it may work but no one knows for how long or even the success rate yet.  How do I know?  Because I am doing a study with the ThermiVa to determine what the success and cure rate is for stress urine leakage. 

Please seek the advice of a urogynecologist in the treatment of female urine leakage.  Your options are Kegel exercises, a synthetic mesh sling or a laprascopic Burch procedure. This procedure is 90% curative the first year after surgery and 85% curative 5 years later. That means after 5 years 85 of a 100 women are cured of cough urine leakage.  The two most studied operations are the mesh sling and Burch procedure.

These operations can be coupled with a vaginal tightening procedure if you so desire.

Choose a surgeon wisely

John R Miklos MD
Urogynecologist & Cosmetic Vaginal Surgeon
Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai

Does urine leakage mean my vagina is loose?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Urine leakage with cough and sneeze is called Stress Incontinence.  This may or may not be related to vaginal laxity.  The vagina is typically damage when a baby through.  As you get older things can drop.  When your bladder and urethra drop, cough and sneeze can cause urine leakage. This can be fixed in various ways by a urogynecologist, a urologist or a subspecialist in Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery.  If you are experiencing laxity of your vagina or other issues, these can be addressed at the time of surgery to fix the Stress Incontinence.  

Do I need vaginal tightening if I pee everytime I sneezze?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Dear Secronin,

Thank you for writing in with your question and Happy 50th Birthday! 

Only a physical exam and evaluation of your symptoms will be able to determine if you need vaginal surgery to support the bladder neck or if the non-surgical option of ThermiVa may be helpful.  I make some recommendations to my patients with Stress Urinary Incontinence (SUI) which is what you are describing--the leakage of urine with increased abdominal pressure that occurs with not only sneezing, but with coughing, laughing, bending, lifting, jumping etc., which include reducing caffeine consumption, losing 10 pounds or more (reduces the pressure on the bladder neck), topical vaginal estrogen (the bladder and vagina respond well to topical estrogen), and practicing kegel exercises to help strengthen the vaginal muscles.  These can help make the episodes of leaking occur less often.  In my practice, ThermiVa has been an excellent no downtime, non-surgical option to help with SUI symptoms and women who were wearing pads daily have stopped needing them.

Aging, gravity, tissue elasticity, and weight gain contribute to the development of these symptoms.  If the above recommendations don't help, then it is best to be seen by a urologist or urogynecologists to be evaluated for other treatment options.

I hope this information is helpful.


Troy Robbin Hailparn, MD, FACOG
Cosmetic Gynecology Center of San Antonio

Non Surgical Laser would be perfect

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
thank you for your question.  
Given the symptoms you present, I would first recommend a proper evaluation by your Gyn for pelvic floor dysfunction or atrophic tissue surrounding your urethra &/or vagina and possibly hormone replacement therapy.
We have also been using either ThermiVa or Femilift as another treatment tool for our patients who experience stress incontinence with or without vaginal dryness and this has worked extremely well.
best of luck.

Urinary Incontinence?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Your issue is more related to the bladder itself, not the vaginal canal.  The best thing to do is to go for a consultation with a  urologist who can assess your bladder and provide a few options for improvement.  I hope this helps.

Urinary incontinence has nothing to do with vaginal tightening

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Urinary incontinence is sometimes caused by looseness in the bladder supports and sometimes by other factors. Vaginal tightening addresses none of these. You need a medical evaluation for urinary incontinence. See a gynecologist or urogynecologist.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.