Have my Mini Tummy tuck took caused another problem?

I am five days out from a mini tummy tuck with liposuction and diastasis repair. Now have palpable and visible bulge in central upper part of abdomen! I am worried this is now the superior part of the muscle where there is uncorrected diastasis causing a bulging of the underlying tissues. Is this common / uncommon? Is it possible? Likely? Too early to tell? I am 5ft 6 and 115 lbs - three pregnancies. Thank you to any PS who can give me their opinion!

Problem from mini TT?

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately without a proper exam it's not possible to determine the cause of the bulge or possible treatment options.  This issue would be better addressed by your plastic surgeon.

Diastasis repair with mini tummy tuck

A full diastasis repair can be done with a mini tummy tuck using a technique called umbilical float. It is possible that you have a bulge above the site of the repair but there is no way to tell without knowing the details of your procedure. There are other possibilities so this is best addressed to your surgeon.

Richard Baxter, MD

Mini tummy tuck and diastasis repair rarely goes together

Without photos, it would extra difficult to determine the underlying problem.  But to shed some light on the issue, let me explain some key differences between the mini tummy tuck and the standard (or the hip-to-hip incision) technique. 

Mini tummy tuck, because it uses shorter incisions than the standard technique, is rarely helpful in patients with loose/splayed muscle.  First and foremost, this technique can only access the lower abdomen--take note that the abdominal muscle goes from the pubic region to the area above the navel.

Simply put, mini tummy tucks will not allow us to repair and tighten the upper abdominal area affected by diastasis.

Good luck and best wishes. 

DrDERBY

Thank you for your question. it is very difficult to give you an answer without seeing a photo. Please attach one to your question. Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Tummy Tuck Bulge

Unfortunately, without a picture (or even better, a physical examination), it's difficult to say what may be going on.  I recommend you discuss the issue with your plastic surgeon, and they should be able to tell you what's going on.

Dr. Dan Krochmal

MAE Plastic Surgery

Northbrook, IL

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Upper tummy bulge

Without examining you it is difficult to say, but this early it could either be a hematoma (collection of blood), a seroma (collection of fluid), edema (swelling), or a separation of the diastasis repair.  See your surgeon to get this evaluated.  

Allen M. Doezie, MD