How soon after surgery can I try for a baby?

Because of our schedules, my husband and I want to start trying to have a baby next summer. However I am also scheduled to have a breast augmentation, tummy tuck, and bbl that summer. Would it be best to wait on the baby or surgery and if so how long should I wait?

Not much logic in planning a pregnancy right after abdominoplasty is part of a mommy makeover.

I would advise you to wait on everything if you definitely plan to have another child. It certainly makes little sense to have the abdominoplasty now. The body contouring relative to liposuction, buttock enlargement, and breast augmentation or more legitimate. I would suggest you wait at least six weeks before pursuing another pregnancy after these procedures.

The Results of a Mommy Makeover May be Compromised If Prior to Pregnanc

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy and information that you read online may not apply to your personal situation.   Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.  Therefore, if you experience weight gain, pregnancies, or any other drastic body altering changes, it is very possible the results may be compromised.  Hence, it may be best to delay your procedure(s) involving the areas affected by pregancy, weight gain and nursing until after your final pregancy if at all possible or predictable. Also, such #combined operations are often performed with our Gynecology colleagues. Tubal ligation is a common post pregnancy procedure which is done at the time of many of the surgeries included with Mommy Makeovers. Therefore, if you require a gynecologic operation or study (laparoscopy) and are considering a plastic surgery procedure, discuss these issues with your doctor. Combining these procedures decreases anesthetics, costs, and recovery time.  
Your surgery should be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience with the procedures you are seeking. Aside from checking #board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Wait on tummy tuck

I always advise my patients to wait to have a tummy tuck until after they are done having children. Pregnancy and hormones will adversely affect your results. Hope this helps.
My best,
Dr. Sheila Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Surgery before having kids

Hello dear, thanks for your post, My honest opinion is if your know you do want children now then yes I highly suggest you do wait until after. Reason is, when you are pregnant & after your pregnancy your breast will grow with breast milk. If you already have your breast done, then your breast will grown even bigger but always remember that after breast feeding, then they will shrink back down and 99% of the time they will not look as perky as they were before. So in a lot of cases women come back to redo their breast & sometimes have to get a lift done or larger implants to fill in the extra skin. If you wait until after you have children, then all that needs to be done is filling back up the skin stretched out by breast feeding which will leave you a better, perky and permanent look.

About the tummy tuck, it may be in your best interest to postpone a tummy tuck procedure till you are done having kids. However, this decision is all up to you. As long as you understand that plastic surgery does not guarantee permanent results and pregnancy may affect the results of your tummy tuck surgery, you may proceed with tummy tuck surgery.  However, your skin and muscles may stretch out again after your next pregnancy and you may need another tummy tuck afterwards. Why not wait another year?

Discuss all options with a board certified plastic surgeon and make a decision based on the information you get. It is up to you. Good luck and take care. :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Waiting on Surgery

I agree with what everyone else seems to have said about waiting until after having a baby to do your surgeries. You, your time, and your money are too valuable to have cosmetic surgery and then alter the results with a pregnancy. Your body will change with the pregnancy and could possibly make your cosmetic surgery results completely ruined. After you are done having children, I advise that you wait at least six months for your hormone levels to return to normal and your weight to return as close to normal as possible. This will put you in a better position to have your surgeries. Best of luck with pregnancy!

Tummy Tuck and Pregnancy

Thank you very much for your question.

I think you can see a bit of a consensus on this board, that if you are considering having a baby, it's probably better to hold off on the surgery.  After delivery, I typically recommend waiting at least 6 months to have an abdominoplasty, and waiting 6 months after completing breast feeding prior to placing a breast implant.  If you are "scheduled" to have the surgery, you have likely already found a surgeon.  I would ask your surgeon about their recommendations on timing of the procedures.  Best of luck!

Pregnancies after Mommy Makeover?

Wait on the surgery; have your children before the tummy tuck. You could transfer fat and have an augmentation prior to pregnancies, but your abdomen will stretch out with the pregnancy, and much of your result in this area could be undone. 

Ashley B. Robey, MD

Pregnancy and cosmetic surgery

As everybody is saying, there is absolutely no point in having a tummy tuck and a breast augmentation (basically a mommy makeover) immediately before getting pregnant. You should wait till you had all your children, then plan cosmetic surgery.

Ciro Adamo, PhD, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your decision to have a baby.  Because of the changes that pregnancy causes to a woman's body, best to have your child first, and pursue surgery as a secondary procedure.  This will afford you the best long-term results from your mommy makeover.  Hope that this helps.

Pregnancy after surgery

This is the wrong priority and timing.  

Pregnancy then surgery is the proper order of things.

Good luck

Mark Eberbach, MD