What can I do after my breast augmentation surgery produced unsatisfactory results?

I would like to know if I need a revision? My doctor keeps saying that I need to wait until 6 months post op. I don't understand why the wait? I knew the second month my breasts were not healing correctly. Is there a way to correct this without needing another surgery? Can they still heal properly? What is the typical outcome when a surgery doesn't produce a good outcome? Will I get a revision free of charge? I'm so concerned!!

Results

I am sorry that you are unhappy with your results, but the reason that surgeons recommend waiting 6 months is that your breasts are still healing and it can take at least that long for the implants to drop/settle into their final position. Meaning that your breasts are going to change daily over the next few months and your issues may resolve themselves. If not then speak with your surgeon re: revision options at that point. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Unsatisfactory results

Sorry to hear about your unhappiness on your breast augmentation. I would wait a while if you were my patient. Things may change over the first few months.

I don't know how long ago your original surgery was, but, generally, I like to wait at least 6 months before considering any type of revision.

As far as cost goes, it depends on each PS. If the patient goes to a new surgeon, she is responsible for all related expenses - basically about the same cost as the original procedure.

Do discuss the issue with your surgeon earlier however. Each surgeon has a different policy on redos.  I would recommend patience and perhaps a second opinion consult with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area who's before and after pictures and reputation fit your expectations.

Good luck :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

What can I do?

Thank you for the question and photos. It is fairly standard to wait the 6 months before secondary surgery in order to ensure that you are completely healed and results are final. I recommend that you discuss your revision options with your Plastic Surgeon and they will let you know the details/cost for your surgical plan. Be sure to work with a board certified Plastic Surgeon.

All the best

Breast augmentation issue

Best thing to do is sit tight for a few months and let things settle. You should discuss with your doctor options if a revision is necessary.

Not happy with breast aug results

The best bet is to follow your doctor's advice, as this is typical to wait for all implant settling to finish before you revise a surgery, whether or not it's the original or a new surgeon.   Be sure to discuss with your own surgeon about how this applies to you, and whether they have any special concerns in your case.

The worst possible thing you could do is to try to revise a breast augmentation in the early stage.  You would be starting all over again.  Please allow them to settle for 6 months.  After that time you can review the preop and postop results with your surgeon and evaluate them.  At that time you can decide with your surgeon if a revision if meeded.

Thomas Guillot, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Revision surgery

with out pre operative pictures it is hard to determine what your breast looked like prior to surgery.I would wait 6 months because the implants are still settling into place.

Deborah Sillins, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Early, Unsatisfactory Results Following Breast Augmentation.

Hello, and thanks for the question. It sounds like it has been at least two months since your surgery, and, from the pictures, it looks like the positioning of the implants may be too far lateral (to the side), unless your breasts normally have a lot of volume laterally. A full examination would be necessary to really figure this out. If the implants are in fact too far lateral, there are ways to repair the pocket and place the implants more centrally on the chest, giving you more fullness in the upper breast and better cleavage. These procedures may involve removing some of the scar tissue on the inside of the pocket and closing off the part of the pocket that has extended too far to the side. It may also involve the placement of certain bio- degradable sheets to help solidify the repair. Sometimes, a new pocket can be created by closing off the entire existing pocket, resulting in a better position of the implant. Again, whether you really need something like this would be determined on physical examination. Talk to your surgeon. In the meantime, wear a bra with good, tight side panels to push the implants up and to the midline. It may not help, but it is the best you can do for now.

Breast revision

Thank you for your question. I will recommend to wait at least 6 months for revision surgery. Based on the pictures without in person exam will be difficult to comment. Look like you have lateral displacement. Please follow instructions from your surgeon. Also every office have their policy about revision, please talk to your surgeon.

Do I need a revision

The answer to do I need a revision depends on whether or not your plastic surgeon feels that a revision has a better than average chance of improving the situation that you already have. Without seeing your preoperative photos, it's hard to tell anything about the postoperative result. I agree that waiting at least six months for the capsule to mature is a good plan given to you by your plastic surgeon. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS