Do I need to wear a bra long term after a breast augmentation?

HI all, I am 2 months post op BA (silicone, unders UHP 400 CC). My PS told me that I don't need to wear bras anymore - period. But as I don't know what it's like to have big boobs, I'm concerned that this will make them sag more or too much in the long run. Shouldn't I be wearing a bra with some sort of support to maintain the best look possible? Currently I've been wearing sports bras to sleep and ultra thin, non-wire microfiber bralettes during the day.

Do what works best for you and keep gravity in mind.

Your plastic surgeon is the expert who best knows your natural breast tissue and your breast implants, so you may want to consider his recommendation as your implants continue to settle for the next few months. The science is scarce on if wearing a bra or not wearing a bra affects your breast augmentation results, and recommendations from plastic surgeons vary, especially during the first several months. Long term, though, you should remember that time and gravity can cause even the perkiest breasts to sag. You may want to hedge your bets and support your breasts with a bra, although avoid underwire styles until cleared by your plastic surgeon.

Bra Post Breast Augmentation

I recommend that my patients do not wear an underwire bra for about 4-6 weeks after your surgery or until your surgeon says it is safe. You may be provided with a specialized support bra, or instructed to wear a camisole or no bra at all. Talk to your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon regarding your post op instructions.#plasticsurgery#drrodrohrich#breastaugmentation

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Do you need to wear a bra after a breast augmentation?

Thank you for your question. Every surgeon will have his/her own preferences as to recovery for specific procedures.  I have patients wear a soft bra after breast augmentation for a few weeks to splint everything, and at that point the scars are generally very stable and we move to normal bras (or none) and long term scar management. The best person to advise you on this is your specific surgeon. 

Bras after surgery

There really isn't any great scientific literature to support the use or non-use of specific bras after breast augmentation surgery. Many surgeons will report that you must use their particular bra or your results will be doomed. Others will say that if you wear any bra at all that the implants won't settle naturally. There isn't any documented proof that any of us are right or wrong on the subject...that I know of. With that being said, I do know for certain that gravity exists and that large breasts will at some point succumb to this evil law of nature. You have relatively large and rather heavy (ultra high profile) implants. I don't know if wearing a bra all the time is going to prevent gravity from doing what it is trying to do to you, but I don't think that it could hurt. If you had conservative 200 cc implants, I would say that it probably doesn't matter. But since yours are a little on the heavy side, I would probably use the extra support just in case it might help maintain your current shape and position.

Wm. Todd Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Bra use after BA

Thanks for your question.  There is quite a bit of variability in surgeons' advice regarding postop bras.  Your surgeon is aware of your unique anatomy so they will likely be the best source of advice.  I do suggest that most my patients wear support particularly for vigorous exercises, but the recommendations change on many factors like their body type, size of the implants, their level of activity, etc.