Should I be worried if I see no hair under the scabs?

Hi all. I had a hair restoration surgery (FUE) in Turkey one week ago, I started gently washing my hair the day after surgery as the doctor advised and my scabs are now gradually falling off. My only concern is that in most cases there seems to be no hair underneath and I read that transplanted hairs usually remain for a couple of weeks before falling off. Should I be worried if I see no hair under the scabs? I am not picking them or rubbing them. Thank you very much for your help

It is not clear what you may be seeing. In general there should be a hair shaft or hair follicle under every scab.

It is not clear what you may be seeing. In general there should be a hair shaft or hair follicle under every scab.  Usually there is hair remaining when the scab falls off. 

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Scabs after FUE

An FUE is treated just like a regular hair transplant with regard to the recipient area, but the donor area has open wounds which require daily washing with soap and water. Within 3 days of surgery, you can resume full activities, heavy exercises if you wish. The recipient area requires daily washes as well to keep the recipient area free of crusts. I generally recommend the use of a sponge and supply my patient with a surgical sponge to fill with soapy water and press on the recipient area daily. By repeating this daily, all crusts can be washed off without any fear of losing grafts. IF any crust are present, use a Q tip and dip it into soapy water, and roll it on the crusts and that will lift them off without dislodging them, but never rub them, just roll the Q tip on the recipient crust. I like to see no evidence of any crusting in the recipient area and the crusts from the donor area gone in 7-10 days with daily washing,.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon