FUT or FUE for my case? (Photo)

Hello, I am a 30 year old male suffering from the male pattern baldness for the last 7 years. I'm planning of getting an FUE or FUT. Many recommend getting an FUE as it has advantages over FUT, especially due to the issue of scars. However the back of head(below crown) has enough hair and I think I can get few strips from there to replace in the part which is more critical. Which one do you suggest-FUE/FUT? How much grafts would i require for a decent patch ( not a head full of hair)?

Organic Hair Transplantation” is a hair transplantation procedure developed in the Estetik International Laboratories. The “Organic Hair Transplantation” method is a novel development in modern hair transplantation surgery practice which was developed with the efforts of our research and development department. Now; our successful hair transplantation results has evolved to a new era thanks to the “Organic Hair Transplantation” method. We can consider this new method as a revolutionary development.

“Organic Hair Transplantation” is based on injection of a mixture containing adipose derived stem cells obtained from own fat tissue of the patient to the scalp of the patient. The recipient area gets rejuvenated and the viability of transplanted grafts is increased with the effects of adipose derived stem cell injection. The injection of adipose derived stem cells also provides a better work area for the surgeon.

As a general rule you should always begin your hair restoration strategy with FUT

From the photos it looks like you do indeed have good donor area. If you get an FUT you will have the greatest chance for maximum growth and minimal donor damage. If coverage is your primary goal, as it really should be for almost all patients, then begin with an FUT.
Dr. Feller
Great Neck, NY

Alan S. Feller, DO
Great Neck Hair Restoration Surgeon

If you keep your hair buzz cut (very short) hair transplant surgery is probably not going to look good.

If you keep your hair buzz cut (very short) hair transplant surgery is probably not going to look good especially if you are going to lose most of your hair on top (as it seems to show on the photos).  If you still want to have a hair transplant surgery see a doctor for a better understanding of what is possible.  

FUE may be your only option if you want to keep your hair short without having a visible "line" scar.

Note that even with FUE you MAY SEE  FUE SCARS if you  keep your hair that short.  With over 2000 to 3000 grafts you may notice what many describe as a "moth eaten" appearance.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

A lifetime plan for your hair

I would recommend developing a plan for your hairline for your life.
You would need to consider that you probably have about 6000 grafts to move in your lifetime, and what is the best way to maximize the donor hair follicles you have and provide a natural hairline throughout your life.

You may even choose to do a combination of procedures over your lifetime. 
If you wear your hair that short, i would definitely recommend starting with FUE.  The strip scar may show on the sides above your ears.

Which is better - FUE vs FUT

We have answered this on our baldingblog so take a look at the answer in the web reference below. This will turn out to be a personal choice helped by the doctor you selected. 

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Fue vs fut hair transplant

there are advantage and disadvantage for each FUE and FUT hair transplant surgery, you have to see what your concern is, if you want more hair in the recipient area then do FUT. With FUT you get more hair and you may have enough to do more sessions in the future. But if you are only concerned about the strip line then you do FUE knowing that you get less hair in the reciepent area. 

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

You should consider many things including the type of FUE i.e ARTAS vs Neograft vs other.  Also consider talking to several FUT and FUE doctors in person.  You have many variables and the more research you do the better as every scalp and every doctor is unique.

Rashid M. Rashid, PhD, MD
Houston Dermatologist