Excessive swelling after breast augmentation despite regular blood drain. (photo)

I had a breast augmentation with a transaxillary incision and implants behind the muscle 9 days ago. I had drains 4 days after surgery but my breast still swelled a lot. I had then blood drain performed 3 times by the PS' nurse using different methods (syringe, by pushing out blood out of my breast through the incision where my drains were placed. I have had also "breast massage" in the clinic (massages by pushing agressively on the implant). My breast is still swelling - what should I do?

Blood Drainage / Breast Implant Pocket

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately if you have continued bleeding/hematoma in the breast pocket you may need to have the breasts drained and washed out in the operating room. I recommend that you discuss these concerns with your Plastic Surgeon in person as soon as possible.

All the best

Concerned with blood in implant pocket.

Having blood in the pocket with the implant that requires repeated drainage could cause future problems.  Your plastic surgeon should be aware of this and may wish to rinse the pocket out and clean your implants in the cleanest fashion possible such as the operating room. 

Swelling after Breast Augmentation

I do think this may be a problem. In my opinion you should follow up with your surgeon again and review what has been done thus far since your surgery. The problem may or may not require surgery and might also require a different incision. It sounds like you are continuing to bleed in your breast pocket and if you were my patient I would most likely take you back to surgery to assure the bleeding is stopped. Good luck. 

Robert Heck, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Swelling

Blood in the pocket can be a problem and lead to long term issues like developing a capsular contracture.  You should follow closely with your surgeon. He may need to take you to the OR to wash out the pocket and re-insert your implant.

Post Op swelling after BAM

See another board certified plastic surgeon in your area for second opinion and needed definitive care. Your post op history not consistent with what I would have done for a collection of blood in your pockets after Breast augmentation. 

Jay B. Fine, MD
Pembroke Pines Plastic Surgeon