Blood thinners before breast augmentation?

Should I avoid taking blood thinners (aspirin, alcohol) before my surgery? If so, how far in advance? Does cannabis also count?

Blood thinners before breast augmentation

My office recommends that you abstain from blood thinners for 2 weeks prior to surgery.  Generally this includes aspirin, ibuprofen and other NSAIDS, vitamin E, and fish oil. Many offices give a detailed list at the preop visit. You should check with your plastic surgeon.

Abington Plastic Surgeon

I recommend patients discontinue blood thinning products for two weeks before surgery. Please address this with your chosen surgeon. 

Regards. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Blood thinners and breast augmentation

Thank you for your excellent question.  I would advise you to directly ask your question to your plastic surgeon well in advance of your surgery date because each plastic surgeon may have a slightly different protocol.  In general, NSAIDS (Motrin, Advil, Alleve, etc.) should be avoided for at least 10 days prior to your surgery.  Tylenol (acetaminophen) is ok to take up to your surgery date.  I recommend that all fish oil containing supplements also be avoided for at least 10 days prior to surgery.  I recommend that patients avoid alcohol for at least 24 hours prior to surgery, and that smoking be avoided for at least 30 days prior to surgery.  Best wishes!

Blood thinners before breast augmentation surgery

Dear kp16,
It is best to discontinue the use of any medication containing a "blood thinning" agent such as aspirin for two weeks before undergoing breast augmentation.  If there is a medical indication for the blood thinner, such cardiac disease or blood clotting disorder, then surgery should be reconsidered altogether.  Good luck!

Blood thinners and surgery

If one does not have a medical indication to take aspirin, etc.. Then they should be avoided before surgery for about two weeks.  If there is a medical indication for the  meds, then you need to discuss this with your medical doctor and surgeon before surgery.  This may prevent you from having the surgery.

We recommend that patients avoid all medicines and agents that can interfere with blood clotting at least 10 days prior to surgery.  Of course you need to check with your plastic surgeon for that surgeons protocol.

In a word, yes

Of course, you would like normal clotting parameters at surgery so I would be careful of blood thinners and the exact schedule of when to stop them prior to surgery will depend on your surgeon and individual needs. Hope this helps. Always consult a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Your surgeon’s opinion will be of great help.

Leland Deane, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Blood thinners before surgery

Hi there

I always advise my patients to stop these medications and supplements at least 10 days before surgery.  This risk of haematoma and bleeding which may also contribute to late complications is higher if you do not.

You should check with your primary health physician before stopping any prescribed medications as some people are not able to stop them without risking other problems.

I hope that helps.

Kind regards

Dr Mark Hanikeri MBBS, FRACS
Perth Specialist Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation - Blood Thinners?

Thank you for your question. You should absolutely avoid blood thinners for at least ten days prior to your breast augmentation. Please discuss all medications, including herbal supplements, with your board certified plastic surgeon several weeks in advance. Hope this helps and good luck with your surgery. 

What should I stop taking before my breast augmentation?

Every surgeon's practice is slightly different, so you should ask your plastic surgeon. This should be basic information that the office should provide to you. In my practice, I counsel patients to avoid blood thinners such as aspirin, ibuprofen, red wine, and ginkgo herbal medications for 1 week before surgery and one week after surgery. Other alcohol products should not be consumed less than 48 hours before surgery. Alcohol should not be resumed after surgery while you are taking certain narcotic containing pain medications. Consuming cannabis in its various forms should be discontinued at least 2 days before surgery. 

Dr. Ravi Somayazula