Who would you recommend to perform a labiaplasty?

I have already had two unsuccessful procedures (labiaplasty and clitoral hood reduction). I have a particularly thick wide clitoral hood that greatly protrudes beyond my labia majora. I know a third surgery is probably my last chance, and I am willing to travel anywhere to have it done. My question is, if you could not recommend yourselves, which surgeon do you believe has the most expertise and skill?
Click here to search for board certified surgeons in your area.

Dr. Gary Alter

Bar none, number 1 surgeon worldwide for labiaplasty. Go there. You should see a plastic surgeon first and foremost for reconstruction as they understand best the concept of blood supply and flaps and healing and tissue handling. 

Recommendation for labiaplasty surgeon

On the East Coast, Dr. Christine Hamori in Duxbury, Massachusetts is a master labiaplasty surgeon. She is a board-certified plastic surgeon.

For more information about labiaplasty,  click on the link below. 

All the best.

Heather J. Furnas, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Need a photo

Thank you for your post. In order to best suit your needs, it would be helpful to have a picture so we could see what kind of revision needs to be performed.
Dr. Goodman  recommended some top-notch surgeons but of course there are others and without a picture it is hard to help

Best U.S. surgeons for "re-dos..."

Hello "Marialle,"

Very well posted question! It would really help if you posted a photo. On the West Coast of U.S., Gary Alter MD is "king," especially if you need a "flap" reconstruction. I use (...have "stolen...) his techniques. On the East coast you could do no better than Dr.s John Miklos & Rob Moore in Atlanta. In Chile, go with Jack Pardo S. HOWEVER, I will bet there are a small handful of others on the Eastern Seaboard equally skilled. Look carefully at websites for "re-dos" and interview 2-3 different surgeons., And... send us a couple photos!

Bonjour "Marialle,"
Très bien posté question! Ce serait vraiment aider si vous avez posté une photo. Sur la côte ouest des États-Unis, Gary Alter MD est «roi», surtout si vous avez besoin d'un "volet" reconstruction. J'utiliser (... avoir "volé ...) ses techniques. Sur la côte Est, vous pouvez faire mieux que Dr.s John Miklos & Rob Moore à Atlanta. Au Chili, aller avec Jack Pardo S. Cependant, je vais parier il y a une petite poignée d'autres sur la côte est également qualifiée. Regardez attentivement les sites Web pour "re-dos» et entrevue 2-3 chirurgiens différents. et ... nous envoyer quelques photos!

Michael P Goodman, MD
Davis, CA, USA

Thank you for sharing your question and I am sorry that your results have not been what you anticipated.  Looking at your full realself.com profile it does appear that you would benefit from a revision procedure to both your labia minora as well as your clitoral hood.  You are accurate in your description of your hood as being thick and wide.  Additional trimming of the labia to better match your hood can be done to lead to a more aesthetically pleasing transition.  Hope this helps. 

Provide a photo if you want a real opinion

The likelihood of success in a revisionary labiaplasty rests with the quality and quantity of the remaining tissue. Post a photo and I'll tell you what needs to be done and what type of result you can expect.

Clitoral hood reduction

The clitoral hood is the skin above the labia minora and the skin that overlies the head of the clitoris. The type of hood reduction depends on the patients anatomy and desires. I routinely remove the sides of the clitoral hood with a labia minora reduction if there is excess tissue. If the skin overlies the head or glans of the clitoris, that can be reduced. If the patient has a very large, protuberant, long, wide clitoral hood, I invented a procedure called a clitoropexy with a clitoral hood reduction. With this procedure, I lift up the clitoral hood skin, move the clitoris closer to the pubic bone, thin the tissues under the clitoral hood skin, and then remove a large amount of excess skin. This results in a dramatic decrease in the length, thickness, and protuberance of the clitoral hood, so that the hood is now within the labia majora when the woman stands. I have performed this procedure over 250 times with outstanding results. I have not yet published this technique, but have been doing it for over ten years.

Gary J. Alter, M.D.

Beverly Hills, CA - Manhattan, NY

Gary J. Alter, MD

Best to perform labialplasty?

Thanks for your question. This is hard to for anyone on here to recommend as most the surgeons on this are experts and treats patients like you from all over the world. Do not let distance be a barrier for your surgical options. Do your research, choosing a doctor is a personal choice and it matters who you are going to be comfortable with performing your surgery. 

Kurian Thott, MD
Fredericksburg OB/GYN