Hoodectomy normal? 2nd labiaplasty and hoodectomy. (photo)

I just underwent a second labiaplasty and hoodectomy . I am not satisfied with the symetry. One labia seems more trimmed than the other. But for the hoodectomy i can notice big scars,i s it normal? . I am afraid of having another "lips" around my clitoris. How it is supposed to heal? And I notice bumps. The stich have not yet fallen. Do you think it can go away? What can I do for my excessively trimmed labia? Do you recommend me somebody in France for revision if need be ? Thank you.

Hoodectomy normal? 2nd labiaplasty and hoodectomy.

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph.  As you are recently out from your second labiaplasty and hood resection, your tissues are experiencing swelling that is affecting what your long-term results.  I would allow yourself several weeks of healing time to have this resolve before reassessing symmetry.  As for your repair the bumps are a combination of swelling and the type of suture technique employed.  This appearance should improve with time but I would be concerned that some bumps may persist.  As far as your labia minora are concerned, it appears that they were completely removed with your two procedures and the tissues used for their reconstruction were removed with your hoodectomy.  You need to allow yourself to completely heal from your most recent procedure and then see a labiaplasty specialist for possible reconstructive options.  Best wishes.

Is healing normal after 2nd labiaplasty and clitoral hood reduction?

After surgery, tissues swell. It can take 3 to 6 months for the swelling after labiaplasty to go down and for you to see the final result. The tissue between each bite of an over-and-over running suture swells, and the bumps typically become less prominent with time. 

Excessively trimmed labia can be difficult to reconstruct, particularly in the absence of surrounding extra skin. A board-certified plastic surgeon would need to examine you in person after the swelling has subsided to determine if there are options for reconstruction, and if there are, what they are. Doing nothing is sometimes the best option (and may be the only option).

For more information about labiaplasty, click on the link below.

Heather J. Furnas, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Botched labiaplasty and clitoral hood reduction

I reviewed your photo. It appears that most of your labia minora were removed and the surgeon put tight sutures along your clitoral hood.. You had a trimming labiaplasty. However, no attempt to revise your labia should be done until you are at least five months after your past procedure as your appearance will improve, and the swelling will be less. You need to control your anxiety and wait. The reconstruction is much more difficult than a primary labiaplasty and should be done by a plastic surgeon with extensive experience in labia reconstruction. I published the first and most extensive paper on labia reconstruction in the prestigious journal "Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery" about two years ago. You may need various reconstructive techniques to give you a good appearance, but this won't be known until all the swelling is gone. You only get one good chance to reconstruct you, so be patient and ask a lot of questions.

Gary J. Alter, M.D.
Beverly Hills, CA - Manhattan, NY

Gary J. Alter, MD

Your swollen and your stitches are prominent

You have very deeply placed sutures which might leave bumps along the scars at the clitoral hood. There is almost no labial tissue remaining on the left side. This cannot be restored because there is no skin nearby that can be borrowed. I don't think a revision is going to be able to add any tissue, only remove tissue and you already have removed too much.

What to do about "grooving" secondary to too-tight, too- large caliber sutures for labiaplasty/hood repair

You will not know full results until 6-8 weeks after surgery. While you are still swollen, it does appear that your surgeon put in sutures in the hood that may have been too tight. (This is why I usually use a sub-cuticular/ under-the-skin suture for the hood that dissolves in 2 weeks and NEVER causes "bumpy" results.) If the bumpiness remains, I would recommend an "radiofrequency air-brushing" repair. For this, consult with Dr. Alexandros Bader in Ahtens or Red Alinsod or myself n California...