Gynecomastia surgery + excess skin. Do I need a second surgery? (Photo)

I had my gynecomastia surgery 2 months ago " liposuction + gland removed. I'm not satisfied by the results. I think I have skin excess I would like to have a second surgery?

Determining if a Male Breast Reduction Revision is Necessary

Following surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Typically, its best to wait at least one year following the initial surgery to consider a revision. It is imperative you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified and has a great deal of experience with male breast #reduction. Plastic surgeons who have specialized in breast surgery and cosmetic surgery are suitable to perform your procedure. Aside from checking board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Please be advised that each patient is unique and previous results are not a guarantee for individual outcomes. As with all cosmetic surgery, results will be rewarding if expectations are realistic. With any surgical procedure, there are some risks which your doctor will discuss with you during your consultation.

Gynecomastia surgery + excess skin. Do I need a second surgery?

Your pinch test demonstrates residual tissue under the nipple. Consider waiting a couple more months before embarking on a revision. Seek a plastic surgeon with specialty training in gynecomastia surgery.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Do I need a second surgery?

Thank you for your question and pictures.  It is very common for a person to have excess skin after this surgery as breast tissue and fat is removed from the chest, leaving the skin looser than before.  Give yourself more time to heal, and if you are not pleased with your result further down the road, please see your board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options.

Recovery after gynecomastia surgery

It takes at least six months to see your results. Be patient and let everything settle down. Remember you can picnch skin and find some laxity just about any place on our body so don't expect the skin to be tight, it should just look natural for your body in 4 or 5 months.

Jeffrey Nelson, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Still swollen

I explain to all of my patients that swelling takes over a year to go down completely.  I certainly wouldn't recommend doing anything further until all that swelling is gone.

Also, I wouldn't squeeze and pinch the area to test thickness -- you need to let the skin to tighten and seal down without being stretched.

After a year, it's not uncommon for skin to be a little bit loose, but that doesn't necessarily mean that more tissue should be removed -- and cutting skin out often results in scars that are far worse than a little looseness...

Dr. Dave Teplica

David Teplica, MD