What is the difference between 24 hour recovery and rapid recovery?

Some doctors require no bands, bras, or heavy narcotics and call this the 24 hour rapid recovery and then I read some doctors require you to wear a bra or a band and still say its 24 hour rapid recovery! Please help what is the difference?????

Realistic Recovery From BA

Hello,Regardless of how minimally traumatic the surgical techniques may be during surgery, it’s still an invasive procedure that involves the administration of anaesthesia. It is far more traumatic to your body than an accidental cut on your finger, and if you don’t expect to recover from that within a day, then why should you expect to recover from breast augmentation surgery in that same amount of time? You need time to heal and strengthen enough to return to the condition in which you were before surgery, and that takes far more than a day. In addition, you’re unique with your own rate of recovery. No responsible surgeon can promise a 24 hour recovery after breast augmentation, or any other major surgery for that matter. Saying that you’ll recover within 24 hours is a fallacy and promoting that expectation is not just dishonest, it’s also dangerous. Resuming regular activities so soon dramatically increases the risk of complications (e.g. capsular contracture, shifting of the implant) and you may require a corrective subsequent surgery. My patients can typically return to light activity within 5-7 days and should take more time off work for more physically demanding jobs. Talk to your chosen Plastic Surgeon about expectations for your recovery.
Al the best

Terminology and marketing hype, though there is indeed something to careful surgery, meticulous technique, accurate hemostasis, avoidance of rib damage, proper use of medications, excellent anesthesia, and avoidance of rough surgery, blunt dissection, use of drains or tight surgical bras or elastic bandages, etc.

Use of bras and bands do not increase (or decrease) the rate at which a woman's tissue heal, but may be used for comfort, positioning, or immobilization. Every surgeon's choice is different, but whatever the choice, it should be for a reason!

Don't get caught up in the hype, but do choose a surgeon who offers quality of care and surgery that does lead to "rapid" recovery. But don't believe there is something "special" that really allows "overnight" or 24 hour recovery offered only by certain surgeons with the "magic" sauce! Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but  also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast, Actually the perkiness on a person or another, depends on patients skin and breast tissue… Breast augmentation surgery increases or restores breast size using silicone gel implants, saline implants or in some cases, fat transfer. One of the most popular and frequently performed aesthetic surgery procedures, breast augmentation has a long and successful track record in satisfying women who wish to enhance, regain or restore balance to their figures.

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Bogus 24 hour breast augmentation recovery

I have watched the videos from those doctors promising a 24 hour recovery and I can promise that they are doing nothing most of the rest of us don't do already. They are planting the suggestion of a rapid recovery in the mind of prospective patients hoping this will sell their practice and that you will want to comply with that suggestion. If they told you the truth - that this is real surgery and that you need to plan for some realistic recovery -  you might go elsewhere. So ask yourself if you want honest surgeons or marketeers?

24 hour vs rapid recovery

There is no difference between the two.  They are just terms to help the doctors get people into their practice.  Every day I turn on the TV and hear some random new term for something that I have been doing for years.  Be careful and good luck.

Shayne Webb, MD

Marketing hype

At the end of the day a breast augmentation is still surgery that has its own inherent risks. Although very safe with a very high patient satisfaction, I urge you to not get caught up in all the marketing hype. If your procedure is being performed by an experienced board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in breast procedures, then you can call it whatever you want. The procedure, can be performed under general endotracheal anesthesia in which a breathing tube is placed. The recovery with this form of anesthesia is not much different than with IV sedation. Having used both forms of anesthesia, patients in the latter category usually go home from the surgery center faster than with general endotracheal anesthesia with less postop nausea. I also use a long acting medication known as exparel which can help with postoperative pain control for an extra day or two and therefore require less oral narcotics than without its use. Best wishes,Dr. Ravi Somayazula

Ravi Somayazula, DO
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Rapid Recovery

There is no difference between 24 hour recovery and rapid recovery.  This is just marketing hype.  Remember Breast surgery is surgery and you will need time to recovery.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Rapid recovery

Rapid recovery is more of a marketing term, but some do use this term to mean that general anesthesia is not used. The procedure is done under local with IV sedation. Wearing or not wearing a bra or band is for comfort of the patient and depends upon the surgeon 's preference. Most anesthesiologists do give narcotics for comfort during the procedure. Remember, a breast augmentation is still surgery, and you will need time to heal. Most women are back to full activities at 6 weeks.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

24 hour recovery

You have asked an insightful question. Most of the "hype" around "24 hour recovery" is just that - marketing hype. While there truly ARE a number of ways we can make it very likely that the average patient will be remarkably comfortable and functional after a very short time, there are no quarantees and no matter what the entire recovery PROCESS happens over time. Within that, there are a variety of surgeon preferences about the details of the process and most of these are not "right or wrong", they are what seems to work best for that surgeon.Summary - recovery can be reasonably predictably rapid for most patients which can be an added benefit but your priority should still be a safe, predictable quality result at the end of the process.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

24 hour recovery and rapid recovery

As far as I know there is no difference between 24 hour recovery and rapid recovery. These names mean the same thing. The reason you are seeing differences in how separate doctors utilize their rapid recovery is because there is no industry "standard" for these sorts of things. Every plastic surgeon has their own opinions and techniques on how to run their practice and how to advise patients during recovery. Choosing a plastic surgeon you are comfortable with is so important because the experience you have during breast augmentation will vary largely based on that decision.

Also, I do not think there is a large difference between board certified surgeons offering 'rapid recovery' and board certified surgeons not offering rapid recovery. Every surgeon you consider should be using the most up to date techniques and instruments to prevent their patients further tissue and muscle trauma and the least amount of swelling and pain possible. If one surgeon was using techniques to allow his patients especially fast recovery (Dr. John Tebbetts, innovator of 24-hour recovery 15 years ago) other surgeons are going to learn and improve their own practice with the same techniques as soon as possible. In this day and age most surgeons use these rapid recovery techniques even if they do not advertise '24-hour recovery' time frames.

Typically - fast recovery depends on the patient. All bodies heal differently; some patients need two weeks to feel back to normal while others only a couple of days. Taking care of yourself, avoiding strenuous and demanding activities, and following your surgeons instructions for recovery always benefits in shorter healing time.

I may be wrong, and practices that advertise 24-hour recovery may be exceptionally good at giving their patients the fast recovery a busy adult needs. If that is the case I suggest doing adequate research of the surgeons offering this type of recovery in your area and meeting them in person for consultation. Meeting a doctor in person will give you a better idea if you are comfortable with this persons knowledge, bedside manner, ability to communicate, and he/she can answer any questions you may have.

Traci Temmen, MD