Stitches left in (photo)

I had chin implant surgery on June 28 and I was told to come back a week later to have stitches taken out. Due to PS office being 2 hrs away, I was unable to. My ER nurse friend volunteered to take the stitches out. The PS office ok'd this. But when she looked at my scar she couldn't see any stitches. It is now July 9, a Saturday. I cant go to the office til July 12. Could I have healed OVER the stitches? What could they possibly do if that were the case? And is it ok to just leave it in?

Stiches after Chin Implant

It is very likely that your surgeon used sutures that dissolve, which is why they are gone. It is very unlikely that you “healed over” your stitches. I recommend calling your plastic surgeon to confirm that type of sutures he used. Please keep in mind that it is best to have a go to your follow-up meeting with your plastic surgeon. Some stitches may be dissolvable and over a period of weeks to months disappear completely, other stitches may need to be removed.

Ask your surgeon

You should check with your doctor's office as only your surgeon would know what sutures were used.Some stitches dissolve and do not need to be removed.

Stitches after chin implant surgery

I would ask your plastic surgeon's office what type of sutures (stitches) were used in your chin implant surgery.  It is possible they used sutures that dissolve over the course of several days and this could be why none are visible now.  You should not have healed over your sutures.    

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon